Allergy is an exaggerated response of our immune system to any foreign substance such as pollen, pet dander, dust, food etc. Our immune system produces antibodies to fight against unwanted invaders which cause diseases or infections. When the body comes into contact with allergens the reaction of the immune system causes inflammation of the skin, sinuses and airways and the digestive system. The severity of allergies to the different allergens may vary from person to person. People with a family history of allergy are more prone to allergies. The environmental factors also play an important role in developing allergies. Though the symptoms for different types of allergies vary, there are certain common symptoms such as itching, rash and inflammations. Allergies can lead to various other risks such as asthma, dermatitis, anaphylaxis etc. Hence it is necessary to identify what is the cause of allergy and treat it accordingly.
This is a remedy for allergies caused by airborne allergens. This is a method to flush out allergens and irritants from the sinuses using salt water.
• Take a Neti pot or squeeze bottle
• Mix 1 quart of boiled and cooled water with 2-3 teaspoons of non-iodized salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
• Take 8 OZ of this mixture at a time in the squeeze bottle
• Tilt your head forward over the sink and squeeze the solution in one nostril and drain it through the other.
• Now repeat it with the other nostril.
Cool mist humidifiers help to keep allergens out of your room. The water droplet from the humidifier binds with the allergens and makes them settle down so that you won’t inhale them.
• Use humidifiers at night when the indoor humidity is low
The filters can keep out the spores and pollens of plants
• Remember to change or clean the air filters of an air conditioner or purifier regularly.
You can use any essential oil for the inhalation.
• Take boiled water in a pan
• Add 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil or any other essential oil such as tea tree oil, rosemary oil etc.
• Tent a bath towel covering your head and the saucepan. Keep your face far enough away from saucepan to avoid steam burns.
• Inhale deeply for 5-10minutes. Repeat the process at least thrice daily to clear off the symptoms of allergies.
If you are suffering from allergy, caused by food, this home remedy will be extremely useful for you. Probiotic foods contain good bacteria which will increase the good bacteria in our gut. It also improves the resistance power of the body.
• Consume probiotic food which contains Lacto bacillus, Acidophills etc.
Natural honey has antiseptic and antibacterial properties and they also improve the immune system of our body. Lemon again helps in supporting the immune system.
• Mix 2 teaspoons of honey and two teaspoons of lemon in one glass warm water
• Drink this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach.
This flavonoid is found in food sources such as apples, blueberries, pears, apricots raspberries, onions parsley, tomatoes etc. they enhance the immune system and reduces inflammations as they act as antihistamines.
• Consuming 600-6000mg of quercetin per day is effective for allergies
• You can consume the above given quercetin rich food instead to get relief from allergies.
Nettle is a natural antihistamine and helps to reduce the inflammation of the airways. You can use the tea made using a nettle leaf to ward off the symptoms of allergy.
• Pour boiling water over the nettle leaf tea bag and keep it covered for 15 minutes
• This will allow the oils of the leaves to seep into tea.
• Drink this nettle tea twice a day to get good benefits.
Studies have shown that Reishi mushrooms can reduce the allergic reactions in our body. It is also effective for various health problems.
• Consume these mushrooms, if you have allergy symptoms.
You can use peppermint in different ways to treat allergy.
• You can make a mint tea to relax your airways and remove the allergic reactions in the stomach.
• Inhaling the mint steam again helps to clear the airways and sinuses and makes breathing easier.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and antiseptic properties. It reduces the inflammation of the airways and also improves the immune power of the body.
• Add ½ teaspoon of turmeric to one glass of milk
• Drink this twice a day to get relief from the congestion and running nose caused by allergy.
Carpets are the breeding ground of various dust mites and the allergens remain adsorbed to them.
• Avoid the use of carpets in home, if you are prone to allergies.
• Mop or vacuum the rooms and carpets frequently to avoid accumulation of allergens.
Animal dander is a major cause for allergy in people.
• Avoid allowing pets inside the house.
• Washing the pets regularly will reduce the problem of dander.
Line drying of clothes may lead to accumulation of dust and pollen on them.
• Use the dryer of the washing machine to dry the clothes
Many spicy food items such as chili peppers, wasabi, fresh garlic and horseradish acts as decongestant and clear the sinuses.
• Include these spicy items in your diet. Consume it as a soup or any other form to get relief from the symptoms of a cold.
The best way to treat allergy is to avoid the allergens. So, try to avoid the triggers of allergy.
Are you suffering from hay fever, or rash or inflammation caused by any type of allergy? Are you looking for easy relief from the allergy symptoms? Use any of the above home remedies or preventive methods.