Asthma is a disease which affects the airways. This disease makes it difficult for the air to move to and from the lungs. The chronic inflammation of the bronchial tubes or the airways causes constriction and swelling of the airways. It is possible to reduce the breathing difficulty caused by this disease using proper treatments. Asthma affects people of all ages. The effect of asthma on each person is different. Each person reacts in a different way to the triggers of asthma. So, the medication type and dose may vary according to the intensity of the problem and the factor that triggers asthma. It has been estimated that more than 300 million people in the world get affected by asthma every year.
The important factors that lead to asthma are
When a person gets affected by asthma, the following things happen
These factors collectively result in difficulty in exhaling causing the wheezing sound. Due to reduced inflow of oxygen and reduced expulsion of carbon dioxide from the lungs, the level of carbon dioxide increases in blood leading to dangerous conditions.
The expression of symptoms varies with people. Some may have the symptoms continuously whereas in others the symptoms occur only when exposed to allergic or non- allergic triggers. The common symptoms for asthma includes
• Tightness in the chest
• Shortness of breath
In people with severe asthma the symptoms mainly occur at night. Though wheezing is the most common symptom not everyone with asthma has this symptom.
Since asthma is a chronic condition it will last a lifetime and there is no complete cure.
You can manage your asthma by avoiding triggers and using some home remedies to prevent severe attacks. However it is not always possible to prevent the asthma attack.Any exposure to allergens or infections of the respiratory tract can cause acute attack. If the asthma is unresponsive to the home remedies or to the quick- relief medications, it is necessary to seek medical attention. If you can understand the warning signs of asthma attack, you can do the necessary home remedies to reduce the intensity of the attack.
If you are suffering from asthma, then it is better for you to not pet any pet animals like dog, cat or a bird. The dead and the dry skin of the pets called the dander is the main allergens that can easel trigger asthma in humans. So, it is advised that you stay away or in fact do not pet an animal that has the tendency to trigger asthma. If you have direct contact with your pet, it is very important for you to wash your hands immediately. If you cannot keep your hands off your pet, then try to keep your face away when you are petting your pet.
One of the most important home remedies for asthma is to get rid of dust mites from your home. These mites usually are found in your bedroom as they are interested in dead skins that you shed regularly from your body. Some of the tips to reduce the amount of mites in your home are:
• Always cover your mattress with an airtight cover and then use the bed sheets over the mattress.
• Use polyester pillows and also seal these pillows with airtight dust covers before covering them with pillow covers.
• Avoid using rugs and carpets on your home floors.
• Wash bed sheets in hot water and synthetic blankets within 10 to 14 days time.
• Never use dust catchers in your home and avoid storing out of season bed sheets and clothes in your bedroom.
Molds, mildew, dry rot and other fungi produce spores which can easily trigger asthma. So, try to prevent the development of fungi spores in your home by:
• Try to keep your home windows closed as far as possible.
• Wear face mask when you clean darker areas in your home like behind bathroom cabinets, under the sink and so on.
• Check unused shoes and closets regularly to check if there is no mold growth.
• Also check house plants, humidifiers, air conditioners in your home for mold growth.
Pollen is released by plants when it blooms and it is normally seen during spring time and early summer.
• Pollination by wind is the one that easily triggers asthma in people with mild symptoms of asthma.
• It is important to not stand outside when the grass is mowed and do not indulge in cutting grass. If you experience warm weather, make sure that you use an air conditioner to cool your room.
• If you have been outside in fields or polluted areas, it is better for you to change the clothes and to wash yourself as well as your hair to prevent from pollen triggering asthma.
Tobacco is the main ingredient in the cigarettes that you use and the cigarette smoke is an irritant that triggers asthma. Even people who passively smoke would become victims of asthma if they inhale the smoke. So, advise smokers in your home to smoke outdoors and not indoors. It would be better for them to stop smoking.
The changes in the weather patterns can trigger asthma. People with asthma are recommended to stay indoors during cold weather or during strong winds. Rain is the best time for you to go outside as rain washes away pollens, irritants and allergens in the air.
One of the main home remedies for asthma is to practice yoga. There are a lot of people who tend to suffer from asthma due to stress and strain of everyday life. Breathing exercises used in yoga are the best way to control asthma breathing and will also keep you fresh, stress free and healthy.
It is very important for you to stay away from alcohol and wine if you are suffering from asthma symptoms. The sulfites in the wine can trigger allergic symptoms in your body.
It is important for you to self protect your body so that you do not catch asthma easily. Some of the ways to stay away from asthma triggers are:
• Never be close to people suffering from cold or flu
• Increase the intake of fluids
• Take a flu shot once every year
• Avoid getting overtired
One of the best ways to prevent asthma is to avoid taking aspirin or medicines that easel trigger asthma. Anti inflammatory drugs and aspirins are a strict no–no for people suffering from asthma.
One of the effective home remedies for asthma is to add a pinch of powdered turmeric in your milk and try to consume it on a daily basis on an empty stomach.