What Is Toothache?
A toothache is nothing but a mild to moderate or severe pain that you feel around the teeth or the jaws. It happens when the central region of the tooth called pulp is inflamed or irritated as it has a lot of nerve endings that are quite sensitive to pain. Some of the reasons for the inflammation of the pulp are: cracked tooth, diseases of the gums, jaw joint disorder, dental cavity, exposed tooth rot, loose filling and so on. If you are facing mild to moderate toothache, then there are quite a lot of home remedies that will come in handy to reduce the pain or the inflammation that you are suffering due to toothache.
Simple Home Remedies to Get Rid of Toothache
One of the best known home remedies for mild or moderate toothache is cloves. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anesthetic properties that will help in reducing toothache to a considerable amount.
- If you feel slight pain in your tooth, just dip a cotton wool in clove oil and apply it directly on the affected tooth.
- You can also mix clove oil in a glass of water and rinse your mouth with this solution.
- Grind few cloves to make it a fine powder and then mix it with some cooking oil and apply it directly to infected tooth to get relief from toothache.
Asafetida is also well known home remedy to treat dental problems.
- Powder a pinch of asafetida and mix it with one or two tablespoons of lemon juice. Warm this mixture slightly.
- Apply this mixture to the affected tooth with the help of cotton ball to get instant relief.
- Fry asafetida with clarified butter and apply it to the affected area to get instant relief from pain.
3. Bay Berry Bark
- Powder the bayberry bark and mix it vinegar to make a fine paste.
- Apply this mixture to the area in your mouth where you feel pain.
- Leave it there for some time and then gargle with plain water. This will instantly reduce pain or inflammation in the affected area.
Garlic is an age old remedy for toothaches and pains. It has antibiotic properties and will help in reducing the speed of the effect of bacteria on the body.
- Crush three to four cloves of garlic and add rock salt powder to it.
- Apply this mixture on the affected tooth to reduce pain.
- You can also use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic.
- Chewing two cloves of garlic every day will also help in reducing the tooth ache.
5. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes will help in instantly reducing toothaches.
- Place an ice cube in a plastic bag and wrap a thin cotton cloth over it.
- Now, apply this ice pack over the cheek in the area where you feel a tooth ache to numb the nerves. Keep this on for a few minutes.
- You can also place ice directly on the affected tooth to ease pain.
Onions are well known for its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties and hence will be effective in reducing toothaches.
- As soon as you sense toothache, just start chewing a raw onion for a few minutes so that its juices react with affected tooth to provide relief from pain.
- You can also place the raw onion on the affected tooth for a few minutes to reduce pain.
7. Salt Water
An effective treatment for toothache is salt water.
- Rinse your mouth with a glass of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of salt to get instant relief from pain.
- The salt solution will extract fluid from the tissue and reduce the swelling of the nerves in your mouth. This will help in reducing pain.
8. Guava Leaves
If you are suffering from toothache, then you can try out fresh guava leaves as a remedy for toothache.
- If you sense mild toothache, just chew one or two leaves of fresh guava leaves till the juice of the leaves starts to work on the affected tooth.
- You can also add two to three guava leaves in a glass of water and boil this water.
- As soon as the boiled water becomes warm you can gargle this water as a mouthwash by adding a teaspoon of salt to this water. This will help in instantly reducing toothache.
9. Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass juice is well known for its antibacterial properties and hence will be effective for toothaches.
- Extract the juice of the wheatgrass and use this juice as a mouthwash two to three times a day to reduce toothache.
- For instant results, you can chew on the wheatgrass and allow the juices to react with the affected tooth.
- It will remove toxins from the gums and will also prevent bacteria growth inside the mouth.
10. Salt And Pepper
- Take equal quantities of black pepper powder and salt and mix them to make a smooth paste by adding a few drops of water.
- Apply this paste directly to the affected area and allow it to sit on the tooth for sometime.
- Repeat this process two times a day for a few days to get relief from pain.
11. Willow Tree Wig
- Get hold of a twig of a willow tree and chew on this twig.
- Chew it until it makes a paste in your mouth.
- Use this paste over the sore tooth in your mouth and you will get immediate relief from toothache.
- Powder cinnamon fine and add half teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a few drops of water to make it a tight paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area of the tooth and leave it there for a few minutes. Now gargle your mouth with warm salt water to get rid of toothache instantly.
- Rinse your mouth with whiskey or scotch or brandy or vodka. It will help in reducing tooth ache.
- You can also think of using a strong mouthwash with high percentage of alcohol to reduce gum pains.
14. Tea Tree Oil
- Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil and apply it to the affected area in your mouth.
- You can also rinse your mouth with lukewarm salt water mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil for instant results.
15. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it to the affected area in your mouth and hold it there for a few minutes to get instant relief.
Are you suffering from mild to moderate toothache? Do you see some swelling to develop in your mouth area? If so, then all you need to do is to try out a few of these home remedies to get rid of toothache and inflammations.