Diaper rash is the inflamed skin found in the diaper area in infants and in young children. Diaper rash is the result of skin irritation caused by prolonged contact with urine or feces or both. The diapers trap urine or feces and cause the irritation of the skin leading to bacterial or fungal infection. The hot and moist environment in the diaper promotes the growth of bacteria and fungus. Diaper rashes are also seen in people with incontinence and paralysis
Some of the important causes of diaper rash in infants and children are
The diaper rashes are very common and do not indicate poor caring for the child. The rashes would clear up within a few days of treatment. There are many home remedies which will give good results in treating the diaper rash.
Do not allow the soiled diaper to come into the contact with the skin of the child. To treat or to prevent the diaper rash, change the diapers regularly. This will avoid the growth of bacteria or fungus in the diaper area.
• Check the diaper often and change the diapers if it is soiled
The bacteria present in the urine releases ammonia, to neutralize the alkaline environment you can use vinegar solution.
• Wash the bottom of the baby using vinegar solution while changing the diapers.
• Wash the reusable diapers and rinse it in water to which half cup of white vinegar is added.
Most of the commercial baby wipes contain alcohol or propylene glycol to clean the skin while a diaper rash is present.
• Use fragrance free and alcohol free baby wipes to clean the diaper areas
• You can also use mild moisturizing soap and rinse the baby’s bottom in plain water to reduce the rashes.
You can keep the diaper areas dry using a blow dryer with cold setting. This is a good option for people with incontinence. Dry the areas properly before changing the diaper.
• Do not use hot hair dryers on infants
• If you do not have a hair dryer with cold setting use the fan directed at the diaper area of the child to dry the skin.
Select soaps, shampoos, and creams which can be used on the sensitive skin of the infants. Do not use detergents, softeners and bleaches which are strong or having fragrance to cleanse the diaper as the chemicals in them can irritate the skin.
• Never use products meant for adult use on infants.
• Wash the diaper, clothes, towels etc of the infant separately from the clothes of other members of the family.
Many people use talcum powder to keep the bottom of the child or infant moisture free
• Certain Talcum powder also contains chemicals which can cause skin allergy in infants.
• Inhaling the talcum powder is dangerous to the infants.
Instead of depending on the dryer of the washing machine, try drying the cloth diapers on the clothes line in the sun or in airy areas. This reduces the chances of growth of bacteria and Fungi.
• Sunrays help in the disinfection of the diapers.
To get rid of the diaper rash faster it is necessary to keep the skin dry. When you make the child wear plastic pants over the diapers, you are keeping the moisture in. This promotes fungal and bacterial infections.
The use of diapers that are tight- fitting causes constant friction on the skin. This leads to irritation and infection.
• Select loose or large sized diapers to allow some air flow.
In some infants the diaper rash is caused due to the chemicals used in the particular brand of diaper. Change the diaper and see if the diaper rash is disappearing.
• If you feel that changing the soiled diapers regularly is having no effect on the rashes, try using another brand of diapers.
One of the best ways to get rid of the rashes faster is to provide diapers or nappy free time to the child. When the skin comes into contact with natural air the healing process becomes faster.
• Let your baby remain bare- bottomed whenever possible.
The super absorbent diapers help to keep the skin moisture free and hence promote the healing of rashes and also prevent the irritation.
• Read the labels properly before you buy the diapers.
Are you a mom looking for the methods to treat the diaper rash of your baby? Are looking for home remedies to cure or prevent the problem? Then try the given remedies to get rid of the problem.