In some people the skin around the ankle may appear black or brown this is known as dark ankle. There are many reasons for the development of dark skin around the ankle. The skin will be dry and thick near the ankle for some people due to constant friction with the boots or rough clothes. It commonly occurs in children and in older people.
The Causes And Symptoms For Dark Ankles
The skin at the ankle is very thin and it may discolor due to various reasons. Staining of wet clothes, wearing boots or any medical conditions can cause dark ankle. The most important medical causes include venous stasis, sprains and bruises and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. When the veins lack the ability to carry blood back up the legs venous stasis occurs. Poor circulation, injury or surgery can result in venous stasis. Ankle sprains can cause bruising and discoloration followed by swelling in the ankle area. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is a tick0borne infection. Rash or dark brown spots appear on the ankles and wrist. If any of the medical conditions are causing the dark ankle, you must get the medical advice. Apart from these medical causes, continuous use of shoes or rubbing of the ankle area with rough cloth etc can lead to dark ankle. The continuous friction makes the skin rough and dry. It is possible to cure this type of dark ankle by using various home remedies.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Ankle
1. Almond Paste
If you spot dark ankles and knees in your legs, then you can use almond paste mixture to lighten the dark ankles.
• Take 10 to 15 almonds and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender by adding water.
• Now to this paste add a tablespoon of honey and mix it well.
• Apply this mixture generously over your dark ankles and leave it there either overnight or for an hour.
• Wash it off with cold water.
• Repeat this procedure every day for 10 days to see visible results.
• You can also use milk instead of honey to the almond paste.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a natural extract that has antiseptic properties and has other helpful benefits for the body. It is also an effective home remedy for dark ankles and elbows.
• Cut two to three lemon pieces into halves and extract fresh lemon juice from it.
• Apply this juice evenly on the dark ankles and leave it there for 30 minutes.
• Rinse this off after 30 minutes and repeat this procedure two times a day.
• You will see your ankles lighten in 7 to 8 days.
3. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is a very good home remedy that you can use to treat dark ankles.
• Apply fresh aloe vera juice or gel on the dark ankles of your leg.
• Leave it there for about 30 minutes.
• You can either wash it off or take a shower after 30 minutes.
• Repeat this process daily to see your skin lightening around the ankle area.
4. Glycerin And Rose Water
Glycerin has certain bleaching properties that will help in effectively lightening dark ankles.
• Add equal proportions of glycerin and rose water in a bowl and then mix well.
• You can also add a little bit of honey to this mixture.
• Apply this mixture generously on the affected area and leave it there for 45 minutes.
• Rinse it off with lukewarm water and then pat dry.
• Repeat at least five to six times a week to see effective changes in ten days.
5. Baking Soda
• Add two or three teaspoons of baking soda in half a bucket of hot water.
• Dip your darkened ankles in this water and leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Just wash your ankles after 15 minutes and pat dry. Do this regularly to see visible results.
• You can also mix baking soda with a small amount of water to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the affected area.
• Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off to see skin lightening around your ankles.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E that helps in lightening the color of the skin.
• Apply generous amount of coconut oil over the dark ankles and massage it well for about 15 minutes.
• Rinse the area properly with lukewarm water and mild soap.
• Do this procedure every day to see skin lightening around the ankle areas.
7. Gram Flour Pack
Gram flour powder is a well known remedy for skin whitening for ages.
• Take 2 tablespoons of gram flour powder and add a tablespoon of yoghurt to it.
• Now add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder to this mixture and mix all ingredients well.
• Make this into a smooth paste and apply it over the affected area.
• Leave it there for 20 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
• You will see effective results in a couple of week’s time if you use it three to four times a week.
8. Cocoa Butter
• Apply cocoa butter on the dark ankles and leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Take a shower after that and use it every day to see lightening of skin around ankles.
• You can also apply cocoa butter cream on your ankles after shower every day to reduce dark color on the ankles.
Milk is a natural ingredient that helps in skin whitening as it has vitamins and fatty acids that helps in reducing dark skin tone.
• Add one tablespoon of rice flour to two to three tablespoons of fresh milk. Mix this well and then add a tablespoon of cued to make a smooth paste.
• Apply it on the dark ankles and gently massage the area for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Leave it there for another 10 minutes and then rinse if off.
• Repeat everyday to see skin lightening around the ankles in about 10 days.
10. Salt With Manicure Shampoo
• In half a bucket of warm water add one or two tablespoons of salt and three teaspoons of manicure shampoo. Mix them well in the water.
• Soak your ankles in this warm water for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Now scrub the affected area with a pumice stone for 5 minutes.
• Do it regularly to see your skin lighten around the ankles.
11. Castor Oil
• Apply generous amount of castor oil on the dark ankles before going to bed.
• Massage it properly for 10 minutes and wear socks to cover it.
• Wash it off the next day morning,
• You will see visible results if you do this regularly.
12. Rice Flour And Vinegar Paste
• Add three tablespoons of vinegar to two tablespoons of rice flour. Add a tablespoon of curd to this mixture as well.
• Mix all the ingredients together to make a paste.
• Apply this paste on dark ankles and scrub it lightly for 10 minutes.
• Leave it there on the skin fro another ten minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
• Use this remedy for ten days everyday to see visible results.
13. Orange Peel
Orange peels are very effective in lightening her skin and can be used to reduce dark ankles.
• Dry the orange peels under the sun for a few days.
• Grind these dried peels into a coarse powder.
• Add this powder in two or three tablespoons of milk and a tablespoon of rose water. Mix well to make a paste.
• Apply this paste on dark ankles and leave it there for 20 minutes.
• Rinse it off with cold water.
14. Sandalwood Paste
• Take a tablespoon or two of sandalwood powder and mix it with equal quantity of rose water. Mix it well to make a smooth paste.
• Apply this paste on the dark ankles and leave it to dry.
• Now wash it off with cold water and repeat this everyday for 10 days to see dark areas turn light.
Potatoes have mild acidic properties and are a good natural bleaching agent.
• Cut potatoes into thin slices and place the fresh juicy part of the potatoes on the dark ankles.
• Leave it for a few minutes.
• You can also extract potato juice and then apply this juice on the affected area till dry.
• Repeat this daily to see skin lightening.
• Apply fresh cucumber juice on the affected areas of your legs and leave it there for a few minutes.
• Wash it off later.
• You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder or a few drops of fresh lemon juice to the cucumber juice to see more effective results.
17. Hydrogen Peroxide
• Dip a clean cotton ball in hydrogen peroxide and apply it on the dark ankles.
• Allow it to dry on the ankles.
• Repeat this two times a day to see quick results.
18. Natural Scrubber
Prepare a natural scrubbing paste by mixing gram flour, rice flour, walnut shells, curd, lemon juice, milk and make it into a thick paste.
• Apply this mixture generously on the dark ankles and give a nice massage with your hands for ten minutes.
• Allow the mixture to dry and then wash it off.
• Repeat every day for a week to see visible results.
Is dark ankle a cause of concern? Are you finding it difficult to wear slippers and floaters because of dark ankles? Try out some of the above mentioned home remedies to easily get rid of dark ankles.