Blood pressure is the force applied by the blood on the walls of the arteries as the heart pumps the blood. If the blood pressure remains high over time, it can lead to other health problems such as coronary heart diseases, stroke, heart failure, kidney failure etc. High blood pressure develops over the years and it affects nearly everyone in the long run. It is easily detectable and can be controlled by proper diet and exercise. When your blood pressure is 140/90mmHg or above most of the time, you are having high pressure. The important causes of hypertension are various diseases, pregnancy, certain medications, obesity etc. Symptoms of blood pressure include severe headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness etc. There are prescription medicines which help to lower the blood pressure, but most of them have side effects. You can control hypertension naturally by eating the right foods.
When you use the super foods for high blood pressure, you will be able to lower the blood pressure within a few weeks. These super foods will improve your general health as well. These super foods have a low sodium content and high potassium content.
Avocados are the powerhouse of potassium, which is necessary to maintain your blood pressure. Apart from potassium avocado provides other minerals and heart-healthy vitamins, monounsaturated fat and phytonutrients.
• By replacing butter or mayonnaise with ripe mashed avocado on a sandwich prevents the clogging of the arteries.
• The monounsaturated fat in them reduces your LDL cholesterol which is harmful for the body.
• The fiber content in the avocado helps to cleanse the body system.
This is a food rich in folate which is helpful in lowering the risk of hypertension. The green leafy vegetable is low in calories and provides potassium and magnesium necessary for maintaining proper blood pressure level.
• Consuming it in salads and sandwiches will help to reduce the blood pressure
• It contains balanced protein and anti-oxidants which reduce blood pressure
• The peptides in spinach help lower the blood pressure
• To get more benefits use steamed spinach in your salads
The goodness of skim milk is due to the fact that it contains calcium and vitamin D and these nutrients work together to lower the blood pressure by 3 to 10 %. Skim milk contains 382 mg of potassium.
• It reduces the fat or cholesterol which blocks the arteries and cause the blood pressure
• You can use skimmed milk to make smoothies or as a substitute for cream in cooking purpose.
• The low calories in skim milk help to maintain your body weight
Beans are highly nutritional and rich in soluble fiber. They also contain magnesium and potassium that are excellent for lowering the blood pressure.
• They are the most inexpensive way of getting the nutritional supply for improving overall health and reducing blood pressure
• You can add them to various preparations like salads, soups and wraps
• They contain vitamins, minerals and fiber which helps to lower cholesterol, and blood pressure
Garlic contains sulfur and has anti-inflammatory properties. They help to remove the fat deposits in the arteries and prevent coronary heart diseases. Garlic produces a gas in the stomach which helps the arteries relax and to lower the blood pressure.
How To Use?
• Eat one clove of garlic a day to reduce the blood pressure within 2-3 months
• Use garlic or garlic powder in recipes
• You can also consume garlic supplements that are available in the market.
Bananas are a rich source of potassium and hence reduce the blood pressure and the risk of stroke. They are also low in sodium and hence is an ideal food for people with high blood pressure.
How To Use?
• Consume at least one banana a day to get the right amount of potassium needed by the body
• You can add it to your breakfast or use the sliced frozen bananas as snacks
• You can also make it as a smoothie with skim milk
Almonds contain protein and healthy fat. The good fat helps to lower the cholesterol level and also reduces the high blood pressure. It helps you to fight against cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
• The monounsaturated fats help to lower the cholesterol and inflammations of the artery. This in turn reduces the blood pressure
• The potassium mineral present in almonds reduces the negative effect of sodium on blood pressure patients.
Olive oil contains antioxidants known as polyphenols which has the power to fight the free radicals. This polyphenols prevent the oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Oxidation of LDL cholesterol makes it rigid and gets deposited on the arterial walls causing increased blood pressure. Olive oil also contains oleic acid which lowers the blood pressure.
How To Use It?
• To get benefited by olive oil it is necessary to prevent heating of the olive oil.
• You can use it as salad dressing or can stir it with boiled vegetables or beans.
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidant Lycopene which protect the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. Lycopene and carotenoids present in tomato help in lowering the blood pressure and the risk of heart diseases associated with it.
• Tomatoes are beneficial for the overall health of the body as it contains vitamins A, C, and E and nutrients like potassium and calcium.
• Consuming 250mg of pure tomato juice for two months will reduce the blood pressure.
Celery contains a special compound called 3-n-butyl phthalide which relaxes the muscles of the blood vessels. This will reduce the blood pressure. It contains minerals such as potassium, calcium and magnesium which help to reduce the blood pressure.
How To Use It?
• You can use it in food preparations
• You can use raw celery in salads as well as soups
• Consume at least four ribs of celery a day to lower the blood pressure
Dark chocolates contain cacao which helps to dilate the blood vessels causing reduction in blood pressure. It is necessary to use chocolates which contain at least 70% cocoa powder.
How To Use It?
• Eat one tiny square of dark chocolate daily for three to four months
• Chocolate is high in calories so consume only small quantities without causing weight gain.
• Select the chocolates that are less in sugar and without milk to get maximum effect.
Salmon contains omega-3 –fatty acid and EPA which reduces inflammation and cause reduction of blood pressure. This cold-water fish is rich in protein and has low fat content which is beneficial to people with blood pressure.
How To Use It?
• Do not fry the salmon as frying will change the structure of the proteins and reduces the nutritional value.
• Consume at least 4 ounces of baked or broiled salmon
• You can use them in salads or if you do not like eating fish take fish oil supplements
This seed contains more omega-3 – fatty acid than salmons. They have anti- inflammatory properties and also help to lower blood pressure.
• Flax seeds prevent the hardening of blood vessels and prevent the plaque from being deposited in the interior of the arteries
• Flax seed also reduces the level of bad cholesterol or LDL
• Reducing inflammation helps in preventing heart diseases and stroke
They are rich in potassium and magnesium necessary for the health of the heart. If the potassium level is low in the body, it will retain sodium in the body leading to high blood pressure.
• Potassium rich food prevents retention of sodium and hence lowers the blood pressure
• Magnesium ensures free flow of blood through the arteries
• Potato helps to maintain the mineral balance in the body and to keep the blood pressure low
Watermelon also contains the carotenoid phytonutrient called Lycopene like tomatoes. It is important for cardiovascular health as it has anti- inflammatory and antioxidant health benefits. Citrulline present in watermelon helps the smooth muscles around the arteries to relax and ensures free flow of blood through it hence reducing blood pressure.
How To Use It?
• You can consume whole seeded watermelon to enjoy the health benefits
• You can use roasted watermelon seeds as snacks
• It makes a good addition to fruit salads
If you are a person experiencing the symptoms of high blood pressure, it is necessary to check your blood pressure regularly. If you have very high blood pressure control it with medicines and then maintain it with super foods for blood pressure. Are you a person with moderately high blood pressure or pre- hypertension condition? Do you want to avoid the use of prescription medicines for blood pressure? Then try the above given super foods and enjoy the changes. Making necessary life style changes along with taking these Super foods for high blood pressure will provide better results at a faster rate.