Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that makes it difficult for a person in distinguishing between real and imaginary things. The person with this mental disorder may not be able to think clearly, manage their emotions and will not be able to relate to others. The patient may hear or see things that don’t exist. They may speak in strange or confusing ways and believe that others are trying to harm them. The patient may withdraw from the outside world and act in a confused manner. In most cases Schizophrenia appears in the late teens or early adulthood. Schizophrenia is usually more severe in men than in women.
The causes of Schizophrenia are not fully known. According to the experts, Schizophrenia results from a combination of genetic as well as environmental factors. Individuals with parents or siblings having a history of Schizophrenia are 10 % more prone to the disease. There is some stress inducing factors which are involved in Schizophrenia. They are
• Prenatal exposure to viral infection
• Premature birth
• Low oxygen level during birth due to prolonged labor
• Early parental loss
• Physical or sexual abuse in childhood
In most people, Schizophrenia develops slowly with warning signs before the first episode of the problem. But, in certain people, Schizophrenia appears suddenly without any warning. They start to isolate themselves and start neglecting studies or work. They may abandon their hobbies and other activities which amused them earlier.
The common early symptoms of Schizophrenia include
• Withdrawal from social life
• Hostility or suspiciousness
• Expressionless gazes
• Inappropriate laughter or crying
• Oversleeping or insomnia
• Forgetfulness or unable to concentrate
• Poor personal hygiene
• Extreme reaction to criticism
This chronic disease can be effectively managed and controlled by proper treatment and support from the family and friends. There are many home remedies available which will help to reduce the severity and the number of Schizophrenic episodes.
The following are the home remedies that you can try out if you are suffering from schizophrenia.
Green cardamom is one of the most important spices that is used in the preparation of Indian curries and gravies. It has many health benefits as well. The green cardamom seeds are found to be very effective in treating Schizophrenia. It will work effectively on the nervous system and also is well known for its healing properties.
• Herbal green cardamom tea is one of the best home remedies that you can think of for treating Schizophrenia.
• Add a teaspoon of freshly crushed cardamom powder in a glass of hot boiling water.
• Mix this powder well in the boiling water and leave it for about 10 minutes.
• Now strain the water and add a little bit of sugar and mix well.
• Drink this herbal tea in a lukewarm state twice a day to effectively reduce Schizophrenia symptoms.
Chamomile is another effective home remedy that you can use to treat Schizophrenia as it has a lot of soothing and calming properties. It will help in enhancing the mood of a person as well as is an ideal ingredient to offer a restful sleep to a person suffering from Schizophrenia symptoms.
• You need to take a teaspoon of chamomile in powdered form and mix it with a cup of boiling water.
• Allow this powder to dissolve completely in the water for about 10 minutes and then strain the water.
• Drink this strained tea at least twice a day to reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Gooseberry is said to be a natural antioxidant that will help in boosting the immune system of the body. The gooseberry will provide the body with the necessary energy to fight the mental disorders like Schizophrenia. Gooseberry is also very rich in Vitamin C as well as niacin amide.
• It is advisable that people suffering from Schizophrenia problems must take at least two to three Indian gooseberries everyday.
• You can also dry the leaves of the Indian gooseberry plant and then grind the dried leaves to make a smooth powder.
• Add a teaspoon of this powder in a glass of hot water and mix it well.
• Drink this water twice a day for a few months to get better relief from Schizophrenia symptoms.
Licorice is a natural ingredient that has the power to control and manage the brain condition. It is a very effective natural herb used to treat anxiety and stress problems. Licorice powder is found to be very effective in treating the symptoms of Schizophrenia.
• Take two teaspoons of licorice powder and mix it with 200 ml of drinking water.
• Boil this mixture till the water reduces to half.
• Strain this licorice mixture and drink this water when it becomes lukewarm, first thing in the morning every day.
• Make sure that you take your breakfast only after one hour of consuming this water so that it is properly absorbed into the blood stream.
Fish is a very important ingredient that will help in boosting brain functionality and health. It is important for people suffering from schizophrenia to eat fish on a regular basis. It is highly important for you to eat cold water fish as they are rich in Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are polyunsaturated fats. It is important for you to think about taking cold water fish on a daily basis if you would like to see an effective reduction in the symptoms of schizophrenia.
• Fish like goldfish, Koi, trout, steelhead, mackerel and salmon needs to be added to your daily diet plan to reduce symptoms associated with Schizophrenia.
• If you are not particular about eating fish, then you need to take fish oil as a daily supplement to fight schizophrenia problems.
Eating carrots on a daily basis is considered to be one of the best effective natural home remedies that will help in fighting schizophrenia. Niacin is an important ingredient present in the carrots that will help in treating many brain disorders.
• It would be ideal for persons suffering from schizophrenia to eat one or two raw carrots everyday to reduce its symptoms.
• It would be better for you to make carrot salad and to eat it with lunch or dinner every day.
• You can also take carrot juice every day to reduce the symptoms associated with Schizophrenia. All you need to do is to blend three medium sized carrots and little spinach leaves along with little water in a blender to extract the juice.
• Drink this juice once daily to fight schizophrenia problems.
• Some of the other niacin rich foods that you can take are: potatoes, fish, corn and whole wheat products.
Another popular and effective home remedy that you can use to treat schizophrenia is St. John’s Wort. This natural herb will help in reducing the excitement, anxiety and stress that a person suffers when he or she is affected by symptoms of Schizophrenia. It is also a very effective treatment for fear, anxiety, mood swings, depression and nervousness.
• You need to crush the St. John’s Wort in a blender with a little bit of water to extract the juice.
• Take one tablespoon of this juice everyday to control the symptoms associated with Schizophrenia.
Basil leaves are a rich source of antioxidant properties that will help in treating a lot of brain disorders and mainly Schizophrenia. It has got a lot of healing and calming properties that will help one to fight anxiety, stress and other mental disorders.
• Add a quarter teaspoon of basil leaves and half a teaspoon of sage leaves in a cup of boiling water and prepare herbal tea.
• Allow the ingredients to react with water and to steep for a few minutes before switching off the heat.
• Strain the solution and then drink this hot herbal tea.
• Drink this tea twice every day to see effective results in a short period of time.
Asian Ginseng is another home remedy and effective herb that you can use to treat neurological disorders and problems. It is a very effective natural antioxidant that helps in treating different kinds of brain disorder.
• If you are suffering from schizophrenia symptoms, then you need to consume herbal tea prepared from ginseng herbs.
• Add a teaspoon of dried Asian Ginseng powder and boil it in a glass of water for about ten minutes.
• You need to strain the solution and then allow it to cool completely before drinking it.
• It is important for you to take at least one or two cups of Ginseng herbal tea every day for about six months to get relief from schizophrenia symptoms.
Ginkgo Biloba is a very effective home remedy for treating various symptoms associated with schizophrenia. It is a kind of herb that helps in improving the mental functioning of the brain, improving the brain circulation and memory. It is found to be very effective for treating people suffering from chronic schizophrenia.
• Prepare Ginkgo Biloba tea from dried and powdered herbs by boiling the powder in a cup of water.
• Let it simmer for 5 minutes after boiling and then strain the tea.
• Drink this tea three times a day to see an increase in the level of oxygen to the brain and to get rid of mood swings, headaches and fatigue.