Lemon is one of the most common fruits available in the market. People use lemon mostly to make lemonades and other juices that are really refreshing and that have a cooling effect on our body. Nonetheless, only a few of us realize that lemon is a special fruit that has countless benefits.
Lemon is greenish yellow in colour and has a very strong fragrance. Although it is a native fruit of Asia, it is cultivated and made available throughout the world. The entire fruit is used for a wide range of culinary and non-culinary purposes. Lemon contains a high concentration of citric acid that gives the fruit its typical sour taste. It also contains vitamin C, Vitamin B (B1, B2, B3, and B5), magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, phosphors, sugar, dietary fibre, carbohydrates, protein and fat.
Health Benefits and Uses Of Lemon
Although lemon is popular for its high concentration of citric acid, the fruit increases the alkalinity of our body. Mentioned below is a list of health benefits derived from this wondrous fruit.
- Lemon contains lots of vitamin C which helps the body in maintaining its immunity power. Taking lemon juice can help you in building up immunity against common cold and cough. It also protects the body from different types of viral diseases.
- Lemon helps in alkalizing our body. It helps in maintaining the pH balance of our body.
- Taking lemon juice mixed with warm water can help you in relieving constipation.
- Lemon juice helps in detoxification by liquefying the bile juice. It also dissolves poisonous wastes and uric acid and helps in eliminating them from our body.
- Lemon has strong astringent properties. It is used to prepare traditional medicines for gastric troubles. It also aids in protecting our vision.
- Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C which helps in neutralizing free radicals in our body. Thus it protects our body from diseases and aging signs.
- Lemon is the only anionic food found on this earth. It is made of negatively charged ions. This makes it an essential food that can offer several benefits.
- Taking lemon juice that has rutin helps in the treatment of certain eye disorders.
- Lemon contains 22 anti-cancer ingredients. It contains limonene which inhibits the spread of cancer. It also contains flavonol glycosides which curb cell multiplication among cancerous cells.
- Lemon is effective in killing intestinal worms.
- Lemon peel contains an active ingredient called tengeretin which helps in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- Lemon has strong antibacterial agents that have the potential to kill bacteria that cause diseases like malaria, diphtheria, cholera, typhoid etc.
- Lemon contains vitamin P which protects the blood vessels.
- Lemon is also effective in controlling high blood pressure.
- It is rich in vitamin C when helps in curing scurvy.
- It contains high concentration of citric acid which has the power to dissolve kidney stones, calcium deposits and gall stones.
Uses Of Lemon In Treating Skin Disorders:
- Lemon works as a skin astringent.
- Lemon juice is used to treat oily skin. It is effective in treating the oily nature of your skin.
- Lemon juice has certain antiseptic properties. Hence it is used as an additive for preparing facial masks. The presence of lemon helps in killing bacteria and in removing excess oil and impurities.
- Lemon juice helps in curing acne.
- Lemon juice helps in curing pimples. It also helps in reducing acne scars.
- It can help in reducing the scars left by freckles. Regular application of lemon juice can noticeably diminish the scars.
- Instead of applying pure lemon juice on your face, it would be better to dilute it using some water.
- Lemon juice is effective in removing or lightening age marks. Rub lemon juice over knees, elbows, and hands to make the skin softer and clearer.
- Lemon juice can make your nails stronger and more beautiful. Dip your nails in lemon juice for 10 minutes. Repeat the same treatment using a mixture of white vinegar and water.
- Lemon can be used as a conditioner in treating damaged and dry hair. Mix lemon juice with honey and olive oil and apply it on your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing with a gentle shampoo.
Miscellaneous Uses of Lemon
- Lemon peels have several miscellaneous uses. You can clean your microwave oven using these peels. It can remove the stains left by food items. You can also boil lemon rind in your microwave until it gets all steamy. The steam would dissolve the dried and condensed food stains inside your microwave. This will enable you to clean your microwave quite easily.
- Crushed lemon can be used to remove stains on your stove, dining table and kitchen platform.
- You can clean your chopping boards using half a lemon. This would kill all the germs and microbes on its surface.
- Lemon juice can help you in cleaning the stained pots and steel sinks. Apply pure lemon juice on the stains and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then rinse with water to see the difference.
- Peeled and sliced lemon can be used as garnishing to cocktails and drinks. You can also refrigerate the peels and store it for future use.
- Lemon peels can be used to prevent sugar from getting all sticky.
- You can use a mixture of lemon juice, starch and turmeric on your body to get a cleansing effect. It also protects your skin from losing its moisture while bathing in chlorinated water.
- You can prepare a lemon pack by making a mixture of yogurt, lemon juice and vegetable oil. You can use this paste for a gentle body massage. Then let it stay for 15 minutes before taking your bath.
- You can prepare a natural bleach by mixing lemon juice with a mixture of tomato juice and milk. Note that, all the three ingredients should be taken in equal proportions.
- To reduce wrinkles you can prepare a face mask using lemon. Add few drops of lemon juice to a spoonful of honey. Add a little sweet almond oil to this mixture. Apply this paste on your face and let it remain for 20 minutes. Then rinse off with water to see the difference.
- Lemon juice can be used to treat chapped lips. Make a mixture of fresh cream, lemon juice and honey. Rub this paste on your lips on a regular basis. Note that, all the three ingredients should be taken in equal proportions.
- Squeeze out the juice of an entire lemon and mix it with a cup of milk. Add a spoonful of glycerine to this mixture. Use this pack on your body to get rid of scars and sunburn. It also helps in reducing pimples and dryness. You can also try this pack on your face to get a younger-looking skin. Note that you shouldn’t leave this pack on your skin for more than 30 minutes.
- Lemon pack can help you in removing freckle marks. Make a mixture of egg white, almonds (soaked and crushed) and a spoonful of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Lemon can be used as a teeth whitening agent. Rub your teeth with a mixture of lemon juice, baking soda and salt. This would also reduce bad breath.
- Lemon can help you to reduce hair fall. Take half a lemon and crush out its juice. Mix the juice with coconut oil (4 teaspoons). And apply it on your hair. Repeat this once in a week.
- Lemon juice can help you in preventing premature greying of hair. Add a few drops of lemon juice to amla juice and apply it on your hair. Continue this for a month to see the difference.
- Lemon can help you in getting a soft and smooth skin. Take a ripe banana and crush it to form a paste. Add a few drops of lime juice into this paste and mix well. Apply this paste on your face and wait till it dries. Then rinse off with water and see the difference
- Mix few drops of lemon juice with a spoonful of vegetable oil. Apply this mixture on your heels, elbows and hands to get a smooth skin. Wash off after 15 minutes.
- If you have a dry skin you can make it smooth and youthful with the help of lemon juice. Mix lemon juice with honey and add a half teaspoon of cabbage (boiled and crushed). Apply this mixture on your face. Let it stay for 20 minutes before washing your face.
Are you suffering from chronic lethargy? Are you concerned about your uneven skin tone? Are you worried about high blood pressure? If you are looking for a simple natural remedy to deal with all these problems then try out some of the abovementioned solutions that are based on lemon juice. Lemon is a great fruit that contains countless health benefits. Lemon can help you in building your immunity system and it also strengthens your digestive system. Lemon provides an answer to several skin and hair disorders too.