Bad breath or halitosis is the unpleasant odor of the breath of a person. This is a common problem found among people around the world. This is not a disease and can be prevented easily once you find out the reason for bad breath. This condition is caused by the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth due to the presence of food particles in the mouth, gum diseases or due to the formation of plaque. Foods which have a strong smell such as garlic and onions can increase the bad breath. It is possible to prevent bad breath by practicing good dental hygiene. There are many natural home remedies which will help you to control the problem of bad breath. If bad breath continues even after having proper dental hygiene and using natural remedies, you may need to see a dentist to find out whether any of the underlying health conditions is causing the problem.
Get Rid of Bad Breath Naturally
Are you embarrassed to speak to the people due to bad breath? Try the following natural remedies and tips to effectively avoid bad breath problem. These home remedies will help to keep your breath fresher for a longer period of time than the artificial mouthwashes and sprays available in the market which claims to combat bad breath.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an excellent home remedy for bad breath as it maintains the pH balance of the mouth and prevents the bacteria from accumulating inside the mouth. It also removes the plaque and stains on the teeth. However, overuse of baking soda makes your teeth corrode and it is necessary that you rinse the mouth thoroughly after using baking soda to cleanse your teeth and mouth. You can use baking soda in different ways to avoid bad breath.
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda
- Dip your toothbrush in the baking soda and brush your teeth using it to clean your teeth and to achieve freshness of breath
- Follow this remedy regularly to get rid of bad breath.
- Brush your teeth using a regular toothpaste and rinse your mouth properly
- Now take a small amount of baking soda and brush your teeth to cleanse them and to maintain the pH balance.
- Wash your mouth thoroughly and feel the freshness.
- You can also use toothpaste with baking soda as an ingredient to get the same effect.
- Take a glass of warm water and mix one teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- Use this baking soda solution to gargle the mouth.
- Repeat the process several times a day to get better effect.
2. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are known to have anti-microbial properties and this will help to kill the bacteria which causes bad odor of the mouth. The fennel seeds are also very effective in resolving digestive problems which are a major reason for bad breath in certain people.
- Chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds immediately after consuming foods with strong smells that may cause bad odor. The aroma of the fennel seeds will overpower the smell of the food.
- Chewing fennel seeds improves the production of saliva and reduces the bad odor due to dry mouth.
- To achieve better results, use fennel seeds mixed with spices such as cardamom, cloves, cinnamon etc.
- Repeat this remedy regularly after meals to prevent the problem of bad breath.
- Make fennel tea by using one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds and one cup of water.
- Strain the tea to remove the fennel and drink the tea by adding honey or milk
- Drinking fennel tea will provide long lasting fresh breath.
Cinnamon contains an essential oil called Cinnamic aldehyde which helps to reduce bad breath by reducing the bacterial growth present in the saliva.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder along with water for 10-15 minutes
- Strain the solution and use it for rinsing the mouth few times a day to keep your breath fresh.
- You can also add some bay leaves and cardamom to the boiling water to improve the aroma of the solution
- Prepare a cinnamon mouthwash by mixing together half teaspoon of cinnamon powder, freshly squeezed juice of one lemon and one and half teaspoon of honey with a cup of warm water.
- Mix the ingredients by shaking them well in a bottle with tight lid
- Use this mouth wash to gargle or rinse the mouth regularly to prevent bad breath
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is well known for its antiseptic properties and antimicrobial properties. The acid present in the apple cider vinegar reduces the growth of bacteria in the mouth and also helps to remove the plaque which causes bad breath.
- Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one glass of water and drink the solution before eating the meals.
- This home remedy has to be followed regularly to get rid of bad breath and to improve digestion.
- Gargle using diluted apple cider vinegar after the meals to get relief from the bad odor of the mouth.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is very effective in fighting against the bacteria and fungi that grows inside the mouth and causing bad breath.
- Mix equal parts of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lemon oil in a glass of water
- Use this mix as mouth wash regularly to get rid of bad breath
- Brush your teeth using regular toothpaste and after washing the mouth rinse the mouth using a few drops of tea tree oil.
- Instead, you can use toothpaste containing tea tree oil to completely avoid the bad breath.
The sulfur producing bacteria is the main cause of bad breath and parsley is an effective natural remedy to eliminate the bacteria present in the mouth. Chewing parsley stimulates the flow of saliva reducing the chances of bacterial growth in the mouth.
- Dip handful of fresh parsley leaves in vinegar and chew them for 1-2 minutes to get rid of bad breath instantly
- To get rid of the problem completely, make chewing parsley remedy a habit
- Take a handful of parsley leaf and a cup of water and make a juice of it with the help of a juicer
- Sip this juice any time you want to get the freshness of breath. This juice will help you to avoid indigestion and acidity.
- Boil 1 cup of chopped parsley in two cups of water and 3-5 whole cloves.
- Allow the solution to cool and use the strained solution as a mouth wash after the meals to eliminate bad breath
Fenugreek has the ability to heal respiratory tract problems and bad breath. It improves the production of saliva and reduces the growth of bacteria in the oral cavity.
- Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and boil it in half a liter of water
- Allow the mix to simmer for 15-20 minutes on low flame
- Strain and drink the solution to prevent the problem of bad breath.
Both black and green teas are excellent remedies for bad breath. Black tea reduces plaque formation and also kills the bacteria which cause bad breath. The antibacterial action of green tea makes it an excellent option to prevent bad breath.
- Make a decoction of tea by dipping the tea bags in a cup of hot water
- Drink the tea several times a day to control bad breath
The aromatic oil present in cloves has anti-microbial and anti-septic properties and this helps to get rid of the bacterial growth and other infections of the mouth which may cause bad breath.
- Chew 2-3 whole cloves after the meals to eliminate bad breath in few minutes.
- This remedy will provide fresh breath for longer period
- Keep 3-4 whole cloves in 2 cups of hot water for 10-20 minutes.
- Allow the oils to seep into hot water
- Strain and drink the water by adding natural sweeteners to get relief from bad breath
The acid contained in lemon prevents the growth of oral bacteria and helps to refresh your breath.
- Mix a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in a cup of warm water
- Add some salt to this solution and rinse your mouth using the solution before going to bed.
- Repeating the process every day will solve the problem of bad breath
This is an easily available natural remedy to get rid of bad breath. Rinsing with water regularly removes the food particles and bacteria and keeps your breath fresh.
- Take small quantities of water into mouth and swish it for 20 seconds to remove any food particles
- Regular rinsing of the mouth with water works like a mouth wash and keeps the mouth clean.
12. Diet Plan for Bad Breath
Including certain foods in the diet plan and eliminating strong odor foods can reduce the problem of bad odor of the mouth.
- Avoid sulfur containing foods such as garlic and onions to avoid bad breath
- Foods such as eggs, meat and fish may cause bad breath and hence are to be avoided
- Include more fresh fruits and vegetables, which cleanse your digestive system and prevent bad breath.
- Chewing parsley, peppermint leaves or basil reduces bad breath considerably.
- Include low fat cheese in your diet plan as the cheese helps to fight plaque and mouth odor.
- Drink plenty of water to cleanse the system as well as to reduce the bad breath.
Simple Tips to Control Bad Breath
Apart from the above mentioned home remedies, you can try the following tips to get complete relief from bad breath.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Brush your teeth in the morning and before going to bed to keep out the bacteria. It is also necessary to floss daily to avoid bad breath. Accumulation of food particles between the teeth and gum may cause bad breath
- It is necessary to clean the tongue while brushing the teeth to avoid bad breath problem
- Remove the dentures at night before going to sleep and clean it properly. Wear the dentures next day morning after thoroughly cleaning the dentures and mouth.
- Sucking sugarless mints will help to reduce bad breath as it will stimulate the production of saliva.
- Stress can cause dry mouth and this will result in bad breath. So, avoid stress or involve yourself in stress relief activities to get relief from the bad mouth odor.
- Chewing aromatic herbs and spices are good to improve salivation and to eliminate bad breath due to dryness of the mouth.
- Try to brush your teeth after each meal if you have intense bad breath.
- Quit smoking and the use of any tobacco products to avoid gum problems and bad breath.
- Get your teeth checked by a dentist once in a year to avoid teeth and oral problems and to maintain oral hygiene.
- Eat at regular intervals to avoid acidity in the stomach, which may result in bad breath.
- Avoid sugary drinks and strong smelling food items, if you want to control bad breath.
Do you suffer from bad breath problem? Are you looking for natural methods to relieve the condition? Try the above given remedies and tips to effectively get rid of bad breath. The effectiveness of the remedies will vary from person to person and according to the cause of bad breath. Try the different home remedies and find out which one is more effective in your case. Follow the instructions and practice the remedies regularly to get maximum effect. It is better to opt for natural remedies to get rid of bad breath than using chemical products.