Apple Cider Vinegar for Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection, which is medically termed as sinusitis is a medical condition which is caused due to the inflammation and swelling of sinuses. This situation blocks the sinuses with fluid on which the bacteria grow and that often brings nasal congestion and pain. The person who suffers from sinus infection feels pressure around the face, nose and eyes. He/she also gets headache, nasal congestion, thick yellow discharge from the nose and sometimes even fever or cough.

There are many medicines available in the market for sinus infection but many of them do not act properly to cure the infection and also sometimes cause side effects. So to avoid these and to treat this sinus infection effectively, you can use the home remedies in which the main ingredient is apple cider vinegar.

Does Apple Cider Vinegar Really Treat Sinus Infection

Before going for the apple cider home remedies for sinus infection, let’s find out what are the main properties of apple cider vinegar that make it an effective ingredient to treat sinus infection.

Clears up the Sinus Cavities: Apple Cider Vinegar contains a lot of vitamins like Vitamin E, A, B1, B2, calcium and magnesium, which help to clean up the sinus cavities and treat the symptoms of sinus infection.

Thins the Mucous: Another good thing about apple cider vinegar is that it thins out the mucous, which creates congestion in the nasal cavity. The high pH level of the apple cider vinegar breaks up the mucus and clears the airways. So its use gives a lot of relief to the suffering person.

Prevents Bacteria Growth: The acidic content of apple cider vinegar checks the bacteria from growing further, thus its use prevents the infection to become more severe.

Antibacterial and Antifungal Properties: Loaded with antibacterial and antifungal properties, apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria that cause the infection in the sinus cavities. It also prevents the reoccurrence of the infection.

How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Sinus Infection

There are various ways you can prepare the apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection. You can prepare the remedies by taking only apple cider vinegar and water as well as mixing it with some other ingredients to make the remedies work more effectively to treat sinus infection.

Let’s learn to prepare the apple cider vinegar remedies to get rid of the painful and irritating sinus infection!

1. Direct Consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar

This is perhaps one of the simplest, yet effective apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection.

Required Ingredients:

• Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tbsp

Process:

1. Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar daily 3 times to get rid of sinus infection.
  2. The regular consumption of apple cider vinegar will not only cure the sinus infection but will also prevent it from occurring again.

Note: If you are breastfeeding or pregnant, then avoid taking apple cider vinegar orally as it may harm your baby.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar Drink

This is also another effective remedy for sinus infection. The regular intake of this remedy will help you to get rid of sinus infection for sure.

Required Ingredients:

• Organic Raw ACV – 2 tbsp
  • Water – 8 ounces

Process:

1. Take 8 ounces of water in a glass and add the apple cider vinegar to it.
  2. Stir it properly and drink it immediately.
  3. Take this remedy regularly to keep sinus infection at bay.
  4. You can also mix 1/8 to 1/4 a cup of vinegar to 16 ounces of water and take this ACV liquid throughout the day to get rid of sinus infection.

Note: You can also use this ACV mix to gargle to get relief from pain in the throat area.

3. Apple Cider Vinegar Steam

Apple cider vinegar steam method provides a lot of relief to the person who is suffering from sinus infection by clearing the nasal passage. And at the same time, the antibacterial and antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar will also kill the infection-causing bacteria in the sinus cavities. This method provides a safe, natural and effective cure for sinus infection.

Required Ingredients:

• Water – ½ cup
  • Apple Cider Vinegar – ½ cup
  • A Towel
  • A Saucepan

Process:

1. Take apple cider vinegar and water in a saucepan and stir properly.
  2. Heat the mixture on the stove for few minutes.
  3. Drape a towel over your neck and head.
  4. Keep the face over the steaming pan and breathe the steam.
  5. Follow this method many times a day for few days to completely cure sinus infection and its associated symptoms.

4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey Drink

When the properties of honey and apple cider vinegar combined together, it makes an amazing remedy for sinus infection.

The antibacterial property of honey kills the bacteria that cause sinus infection. Its use also soothes the irritation in the throat area. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce the inflammation in the throat. Also, its consumption strengthens the immunity system and makes the body strong enough to fight any type of infection.

Required Ingredients:

• Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
  • Honey – 1 tbsp
  • Warm Water – 8oz

Process:

1. In a glass, take the warm water and add the apple cider vinegar and honey.
  2. Stir both the ingredients well and drink.
  3. Use this remedy regularly to get relief from the pain of sinus infection.

5. Apple Cider Vinegar Decongestant

This decongestant will work effectively to treat the sinusitis by clearing the extra mucus from the chest. Apart from that it will also treat other sinusitis symptoms like breathing problem. To prepare this decongestant, along with apple cider vinegar we also need some other ingredients like cayenne pepper, honey, lemon juice and ginger.

Cayenne pepper contains an active component called capsaicin, which helps to clear the nasal congestion that occurs due to sinus infection. It also reduces the inflammation that narrows the nasal passage.

Loaded with antibacterial properties, honey kills the bacteria that cause sinus infection. So its use not only treats sinus infection but also controls it to become severe.

Containing a lot of immune boosting antioxidant called Vitamin C, lemon juice can help you fight the sinus infection in a better way.

Ginger contains many antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties like zingiberene, gingerol, and shogoal, which altogether work to treat sinus infection.

Required Ingredients:

• Apple Cider Vinegar – ¼ cup
  • Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
  • Powdered Ginger – ½ tsp
  • Organic Honey – 3 tbsp
  • Lemon Juice – ¼ cup

Process:

1. In a pot, take the apple cider vinegar and the lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
  2. Now simmer this mixture in a low flame for few seconds.
  3. Add the honey, cayenne pepper and powdered ginger to the mixture, and stir well to mix all the ingredients properly.
  4. Store this mixture in a jar and keep in a dark cool place.
  5. Whenever you get affected by sinus infection, take 1 to 2 tbsp of this mixture to get immediate relief from it.

Note: You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder to it to make it more effective as turmeric is loaded with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.

6. Apple Cider Vinegar Nasal Spray

This ACV spray will give you instant relief from the nasal congestion by thinning the blocked mucus.

Required Ingredients:

• Apple Cider Vinegar – 5 to 6 drops
  • Distilled Water – 1 tbsp
  • An Empty Nasal Sprayer

Process:

1. Mix the apple cider vinegar in the distilled water properly.
  2. Pour this mixed water to the nasal sprayer.
  3. Now sniff this ACV mixed water to the infected nostril.
  4. Use this remedy at least thrice a day to get rid of sinus infection.
  5. This remedy will improve your condition within 24 hours.

7. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

This method will give you relief by cleaning the sinus cavity. The antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar will treat the sinus infection in a better way.

Required Ingredients:

• Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
  • Warm Water – 1 cup

Process:

1. Mix both the ACV and water well.
  2. Take 1 tbsp of this ACV in your palm.
  3. Press one nostril with your finger and with another nostril snort up the ACV mix in one go.
  4. Tilt your head back so that the solution will run down the back of the nose to the throat. You can swallow this ACV mix or spit it out.
  5. Follow the same procedure with the other nostril.
  6. Following this process twice a day will definitely give results against sinus infection.

Note: Always use raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar as it contains the nutrient called “mother” for preparing all these ACV home remedies for sinus infection.

Tips to Follow

You can very well use these ACV home remedies to get rid of sinus infection and its related symptoms, such as coughing, sneezing, sore throat, fatigue but you can prevent this condition to occur again as well as lessen its effects by following certain tips that are mentioned below.

• Drink plenty of water if you are suffering from sinus infection frequently. Water can wash the bacterial and fungal built up in the throat.  It will also dilute the mucous.
  • Increase the intake of foods that are rich in Vitamin A to build a strong immune system to fight against sinus infection.
  • Stop taking alcohol if you are suffering from sinus infection as alcohol promotes the swelling of nasal passages and mucous membranes.
  • Keep your nose moist by using saline sprays frequently.
  • Take ample amount of rest for the speedy recovery from sinus infection.
  • Take warm compress throughout the day. Place a warm washcloth on your face covering your nose and eyes. It will thin out the mucous and clear nasal congestion. It will also lessen the pain, headache and facial soreness that are caused due to sinus infection.
  • Avoid taking caffeinated drinks which often cause dehydration. It is considered as one of the main causes of sinus infection.
  • Avoid taking chilled items, such as ice creams, chilled drinks.
  • Avoid taking dairy products as the consumption of these cause phlegm.

Use these effective home remedies to get rid of sinus infection for sure. But after using all these apple cider vinegar home remedies, if your condition does not improve then it is advisable to consult a doctor. Also if you are under medication or pregnant or breast feeding, then always consult a doctor before using these apple cider vinegar remedies for sinus infection.

Maria Miller

43 Comments

1. Mary LaFrance

January 6, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I tried the nasal rinse. HORRIBLE IDEA!! It has burned my sinuses. Vinegar is an acid. I am currently in the ER trying to get help. My sinuses are raw, bleeding and inflamed. DO NOT DO THIS!!

• Disqus Inferno

January 17, 2017 at 12:13 pm

• Disqus Inferno

January 17, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Also, it will not burn.

• Mary LaFrance

February 12, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I used the brand suggested and prepared exactly as stated. It burned like crazy. You keep stating the same thing over and over. I am not an idiot. I used what you suggested as you suggested it. With the mother. I AM an idiot for trying this!

• AliminatorSnow

February 12, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Dilute it more than the author’s recommendation. It won’t burn.

• Mary LaFrance

February 14, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Then the author needs to change his recommendation.

• Disqus Inferno

February 14, 2017 at 1:05 am

Try using less ACV.

• Mary LaFrance

February 14, 2017 at 3:04 am

Here’s a thought! DON’T use any ACV! If it fried the daylights out of my sinuses AS DIRECTED, why would I try it again at a diluted mixture? I suggest to everyone, DONT DO IT!

• Disqus Inferno

February 14, 2017 at 9:19 am

Perhaps try using straight ACV, with just a pinch of lemon, and a tablespoon of cayenne.

• Mary LaFrance

February 14, 2017 at 4:11 pm

You’re a jerk. Frankly you shouldn’t post anything about this. You are essentially touting that this will cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent any disease in humans….which is a definition of a drug. You’re going to get someone who has the same reaction I did and they are going to sue you for offering medical advice and promoting an unapproved drug.

• Mary LaFrance

April 8, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Centuries, huh? You’re ignorant.

• AliminatorSnow

April 9, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Some people just need to be schooled. I feel bad for those who will take her comments seriously and never enjoy the benefits of ACV (for a magnitude of ailments, may I add)!

• AliminatorSnow

April 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Out of control indeed. Personally, I’ve cured every sinus infection suffered with raw ACV, and they are chronic – gluten, it’s another issue – and I’ll be damned if one person, with one bad experience, possibly because she failed to follow directions and the input from others, discourages anyone with an ailment from curing sinusitis. With anything, I always try the homeopathic course first, then, if all else fails, I find a physician steeped in homeopathy.

But I’m just a whole food eating, yoga sweating, people loving fool. What do I know? Lol.

• AliminatorSnow

April 9, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Yes! Amoxicillin wore off its welcome with me. I became immune. Good riddance, though.

While I don’t travel as much as you – you lucky little… 😉 – I am in the field of Human Resources; plenty of interaction. So, ACV with cayenne and lemon is my shot of choice.

• Adrian Funk

June 3, 2017 at 3:45 am

Anybody ever stop to think that Mary probably works for a pharmaceutical company?

• Niche

September 2, 2017 at 1:20 am

She is so weird and over the top. She probably is. But I hope a rep would be a little more finessed & skillful & come with a better tactic than she has but hey, anything is possible.

• Mary LaFrance

June 3, 2017 at 4:45 am

Seems to me that you’re threatened by any opposing view. Bet you’re a freakin snowflake too. The referenced statute wasn’t false my foolish little girl. I will forget more about law than you could ever learn. Glad it worked for you and your cronies. I was merely trying to help someone not fry their sinuses, so move on. Sheesh.

• Dee Dee Williams

August 27, 2017 at 3:56 pm

She’s probably a pharmaceutical rep. Trolling natural cure sights!!

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:28 am

This is such BS. I like natual remedies as much as many people and usually seek them out before I opt for a pharmaceutical. I don’t take antibiotics if I can help it. The way you’re treating this woman who related what happened to her using a home remedy, that had no side effects listed for it’s use btw, is beyond the pale. Quite frankly, using ACV as a nasal spray without stating it could burn your sinus tissue is ridiculous. It’s vinegar. It’s acidic. If someone is going to suggest a home remedy, do it complete manner. It’s negligent not too.

• Dee Dee Williams

November 7, 2017 at 6:08 pm

You have a point. People are stupid that’s why there are warnings on EVERYTHING! I was on a train and by the door there was a warning NOT to OPEN door while train is moving! When I opened my vinigar, I already knew it would sting just by taste and smell. So I used half water and vinegar. But you’re right, most people have no common sense and need warnings.
            I am so happy to see another defending a moron. You get a hold star.

• Dee Dee Williams

November 7, 2017 at 6:20 pm

You have a point. Gold star for You! This is why there are warnings on Everything, because most people have no common sense.

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:20 am

The author should have given possible side effects of using ACV as nasal spray/irrigation. Why they neglected to do so is irresponsible and beyond me.

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:22 am

No, she was relating that it burned the F out of her sinus tissue. The author should have listed possible side effects, but didn’t. She’s right to call out what can happen to delicate sinus tissue using ACV as a nasal spray. It would have been the responsible thing to do.

• Adrian Funk

June 3, 2017 at 3:44 am

Mary, I gather that you likely work for a pharmaceutical company or are an internet troll. Who posts in a forum when allegedly in an E.R?

• Mary LaFrance

June 3, 2017 at 4:37 am

Nope. I’m retired law enforcement. I posted from the waiting room, as I waited and grew angrier. I posted because I thought maybe I could save one person from frying their sinuses as I had. Yes I used the exact brand, dilution, etc. if there’s a way to remove myself from this stupid chain of posts, someone let me know please. I was hurting, angry and wanted to save anyone from what I did. That’s all. No need for nastiness. If it works well for you or anyone else, well, wonderful. It landed me in the ER.

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:17 am

This is a late response to your post/this thread and I’m on your side. I have chronic sinusitis and ACV would be the last thing that I would shoot up my nose, particularly with the instructions that were given. There should have also been a caveat that stating that it could very well burn the sinus tissue. It would seem to me it would be a no brainer, prudent thing to do, but instead they argue to try and mitigate their apparent reluctance to do so. Shame on them. I just had surgery for mine last week. Obviously the jury is still out on it’s success. I wish you better health. Chronic sinusitis is the pits.

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:29 am

You’re so FOS Niche.

• Niche

November 11, 2017 at 8:58 am

So is your mother.

• Cath

November 11, 2017 at 8:01 am

Well my sinus was very bad had headache for 3 weeks and sore face and this remedy made me feel much better after trying sevral medications thanx for the advice was so much helpfull

• AliminatorSnow

January 17, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Did you try diluting it more than recommended? I use it without issue.

FYI: Lawsuit for a recommendation, not prescriptive, would be a waste of your time.

• AliminatorSnow

January 18, 2017 at 12:13 am

Sorry about your situation, but you do know that I didn’t write this blog, correct?

• Mary LaFrance

January 18, 2017 at 12:18 am

My sincere apologies. Thought I was responding to the person who did.

• Brad Goodman

February 20, 2017 at 5:25 am

I have been using it for the past week. I have had no problems. I use it through a neti pot but not as strong as this article says. Use it with the saline solution and the ACV. It’s been a life saver for me so far.

• Diane Lonigro Haerr

February 22, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Hello Brad … I’ve been looking to see if anyone used unpasteurized (Braggs) ACV in a neti pot and saw your post. How much do you add to the neti?

• Brad Goodman

October 24, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Sorry. I use 1 millimeters + the salt that comes with the neti.

• Guest51

November 4, 2017 at 9:32 am

And so Brad, because you had no problems, no one else will? You then state in your next sentence that you used a lower concentration than the article says which obviously, along with a saline solution, would mitigate the strength and therefore the possibility of burning the sinus tissue, yes?

• LuKas Kasdan

February 12, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Dang! It sounded like a bad idea when I read the article. Then your comment confirmed it. Thanks for the heads up, and I hope you’ve recovered fully.

• Mary LaFrance

February 12, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I have. It took a few days. Thank you!

• AliminatorSnow

April 9, 2017 at 11:59 am

Please try it yourself, but with saline and less ACV. It works for everyone I personally know. Don’t take the recommendation of one person, who may have very well failed to follow directions.

2. Christine Wedlock

February 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Can I use raw ginger instead of powdered ginger?

3. Erica

May 25, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I used some for my sinuses and it burned very badly. I put a very small amount into a good amount of distilled water. However, I took the burning sensation as healing for a chronic sinus issues. Also, though it burned my sore throat cleared up almost immediately. Sometimes as the old saying goes, no pain no gain. As a sufferer of fibromyalgia who practices yoga to help alleviate pain I am well aware of the process of sometimes you have to endure a little pain to overall feel better.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login