Gas pain is something common that is experienced by everyone at some point in their lives. While passing intestinal gas is done by all of us as part of our daily routine, it can be embarrassing if it becomes in excess. Again, when gas gets trapped and causes pain, it can raise false alarms regarding a heart problem. Sometimes certain food consumption can lead to intestinal gas build up or lead to constipation or diarrhea. These conditions are accompanied by pains that are mainly due to the build-up of gas in the intestine. The symptoms, causes and common home remedies are discussed in the subsequent sections.
Causes Of Gas Build Up In Stomach
While gas pain in the chest might be felt, it is mainly due to gas build up in the abdominal region.
- Gas is formed when the bacteria in the colon ferment the carbohydrates that have not been digested in the small intestine
- High fiber foods and healthy foods often fall into such categories of foods that are difficult to digest
- Fiber is known to be good for the system and it is known to keep the digestive tract in working order by removing toxins, controlling the cholesterol levels as well as blood sugar. However, fiber also leads to gas formation.
- High fiber foods that can cause gas and gas pains are vegetables, fruits, beans and peas, whole grains and others
- High fiber supplements like psyllium can cause such problems
- Even carbonated beverage like beer or soda can lead to gas formation
- Gas may be formed due to food intolerance
- Gas may be formed when one suffers from irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis
- When excess air is gulped while eating
- Due to constipation which can cause bloating
For many people the symptoms or the signs of gas pain are obvious:
- Voluntary or involuntary passing of gas
- Belching or passing of gas
- Sharp pains in the abdominal area
- Jabbing pains in the chest
- Pain may occur in the abdomen and the location might shift from one part of the abdomen to another
- Tightness or swelling of the abdomen
- Feeling of bloatedness
- Absence of appetite
When gas pains are not serious, they are usually for a brief period and they pass on by themselves. Sometimes, the symptoms of gas pain can be mistaken for heart diseases, appendicitis, gallstone and other ailments. While it is normal to pass gas several times in a day, it should not cause discomfort or pain in the abdomen which can be unusual and cause for concern.
Home Remedies For Gas In The Chest
1. Lie Down
When you have gas pain in the chest and it causes discomfort you need to:
• Lie down with the head elevated
• Rest in this position for some time to reduce the discomfort
2. Drink Lots Of Fluids
Often the gas build-up is due to poor digestion.
• If fluids are taken in plenty, it helps to move the undigested food along
• The fiber-rich food which usually causes build up of gas is aided in digestion by increased fluid intake
• Increased fluid intake reduces constipation and allows gas to pass out of the system
3. Stay Away From Carbonated Drinks
When one has gas, it is necessary to avoid carbonated drinks.
• Carbonated drinks add to the gas formation and increases the discomfort
• The pain in the chest due to passing of gas will increase due to intake of such beverages
• Carbonated drinks tend to have empty calories and hence, one will be adding on unnecessary sugar in the system
4. Positions That Alleviate Gas In Chest
• You could kneel on the bed with the buttocks in the air and the head facing down. That is a position which encourages the excess gas to pass out of the system
• One could lie down and press their two legs against the stomach. At the same time, while breathing in, one should try and force the air out like passing of gas.
• When doing so make sure you are alone
• When trying to push out the air from your abdomen ensure that the stomach is empty
5. Positions In Bed
There are some positions that the doctors recommend while lying down which helps to prevent the gas build up in the chest or the abdomen. These positions might be simple but they are effective in helping one to reduce their discomfort and be able to sleep at night if the gas build-up is causing discomfort.
• Lying down on one’s left side is said to work wonders.
• Even though it is a simple solution, it is recommended in many instances such as when someone is facing gas problem during pregnancy or when someone has undergone colonoscopy.
6. Common Kitchen Ingredient
• There are many common ingredients that are used in Asian kitchens which are helpful for removing flatulence such as mustard
• Mustard is often added in cooking different dishes and that prevents gas build up
• Indian spices like cardamom, cumin and turmeric are known to have beneficial properties for aiding the digestion. One could use these spices to lightly prepare curries that will reduce the bloatedness or gas build up in the stomach.
7. Drinking Hot Fluids
• It is said that fluid intake reduces the gas build up in the abdominal region
• If one drinks or consumes hot water or hot beverages like tea, it helps to move the gas along the digestive tract and release it out naturally.
8. Position On The Ground
There are certain positions that one can take up or exercises that can be done in order to release gas from the stomach or reduce its build up.
• One position that is beneficial is to lie flat on the ground on one’s back. While one inhales, the left foot is raised towards the chest slowly.
• The foot needs to be held to the chest with one’s hands for ten seconds.
• At such a time the breath needs to be held
• The feet should be released while exhaling
• The same steps should be repeated with the other foot
It is seen that gas is passed when these movements are conducted along with the breathing being coordinated.
9. Fruits To Consume
• There are certain fruits that heat up the system and prevent gas from building up.
• Intake of papaya is one example which will help to reduce the bloatedness
10. Different Kinds Of Tea That Can Be Consumed
• Tea like peppermint tea offers relief
• Ginger or chamomile tea are also beneficial
• Herbal tea has anti-flatulent properties which prevents the build-up of gas in the stomach
11. Get Moving
• Often, insufficient exercise causes poor digestion for which gas build up occurs.
• Going for an evening walk or simply increasing one’s physical activity will provide relief
12. Lying Down Exercises
There are some exercises that one can do while lying down in bed:
• Cycling in the air by putting one’s legs high up in the air and pretending to cycle
• Scissor-like movements with the two legs in the air
• Yogic positions also help to remove flatulence and bloated feeling
13. Charcoal Capsules
• If you have charcoal capsules at home they will help to reduce bloatedness
• Excess gas and impurities of the system are removed by such supplements.
14. Baking Soda
• You could try and have a hot cup of water with baking soda added in it. It helps to reduce flatulence.
15. Ginger In Different Forms
One of the known kitchen ingredient that is known for its curing properties is ginger. It can provide relief in different forms.
• It can be consumed in small pieces
• One could put it in their tea
• Consume ginger tablets
16. Try Sit Ups
• Doing sit-ups will surely get the gas moving and will force it out of your system.
• Such exercises are good for the stomach as well as the legs. Thus, not only will you be toning your abdominal muscles as well as the ones on your legs, you will be releasing gas and gaining relief from flatulence.
17. Apple Cider Vinegar
• A useful home remedy is consuming two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
• It will aid in digestion and reduce the discomfort caused by flatulence.
18. Avoid Dairy Food Products
• If you are getting the feeling of bloatedness often, it could be a sign of food intolerance.
• Many people are often unaware of their intolerance to gluten-rich foods or dairy products.
• Understand which kind of food items are causing the feeling of bloatedness in your body and avoid consuming them.
Are you suffering from gas in chest often? One of the above home remedies will surely provide relief. Are you looking for a safe and effective cure for flatulence? You will find many remedies here.
Frequently Asked Question & Answers
- Can we get chest pain from gas?
Usually gas causes pain in the abdomen but sometimes the gas may get trapped in the gastrointestinal tract which leads to chest pain. If it is severe then better consult the cardiologist as soon as possible.
- Can Gas Give You A Heart Attack?
No, gas causes chest pain and sometimes slight heartburn which lasts for very few seconds. But if it is paining for a long time then it is the symptom of heart attack.
- Can indigestion cause chest pain?
Yes, indigestion leads to chest pain sometimes.
- What are the symptoms of trapped gas?
Abdominal discomfort, chest pain, the passing of gas, etc. can be symptoms of trapped gas.
- What is gas pain feel like?
You may feel discomfort while breathing, pain in the sides of the chest, tightness in the chest, abdominal pain etc.
- How do you get rid of gas pains?
There are total 18 home remedies mentioned in the above article, you can follow any of them to get rid of gas pains.
- Can you have gas pain in your back?
Yes, the severe pain in the abdomen due to gas leads to back pain.
- Can acid reflux feel like a heart attack?
Yes, the severe chest pain due to gas may also cause burning sensation for some time which may reflect heart attack.
- Is heartburn a sign of a heart attack?
No, there are several other reasons that cause heartburn such as ulcers, gas etc.
- How can I reduce gas in my stomach?
Avoid gas causing food onion, potato, broccoli, carbonated drinks, etc. Try to consume the food slowly and drink lots of water. In this way, you can reduce the gas in the stomach.
- Can you get gas from stress?
Yes, stress leads to indigestion which in turn may cause gas.
- Do Tums help with gas?
Yes, Tums works as anti-gas or anti-acid which reduces gas.
- Is apple cider vinegar good for gas?
Yes, you can consume a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with the half glass of water or tea before meals. This helps in reducing gas.
- Why do you have so much gas?
It may due to excessive consumption of air while swallowing food or it may occur due to gas causing food such as cabbage, broccoli, carbonated drinks etc.
- What side do you lay on when you have gas?
It is recommended to lay on the left side to reduce the gases
- Can gas cause chest pain and left arm pain
No, left arm pain is the symptom of a heart attack which causes pain in the back, chest and sometimes jaws also.