Those who suffer from cold might also end up with cold sores in their nose. If they have congestion in their lungs and running noses, repeated blowing of nose to relieve oneself of the phlegm often results in sores in the nose. The sores in the nose are kinds of inflammation that are caused due to bacterial infection or irritation of the thin lining inside the nasal passages. These tend to be painful. One could opt for some common home remedies in order to address such painful sores in the nose.
Causes Of Cold Sores In The Nose
The symptoms of cold sores should not be ignored. They usually indicate that there is ongoing infection in the system:
• One may be suffering from a cold or a flu
• The sores come on when one comes in contact with someone exposed to the herpes simplex virus
• Windy conditions could aggravate a cold and bring on cold sores
• Menstrual condition might aggravate the sores
• Dry winter months usually bring on such conditions more
• People who have compromised immune system more are likely to fall prey to such infection
Symptoms Of Cold Sores In The Nose
The following symptoms usually appear which are telltale signs of cold sores to be found in the nose:
• When one is suffering from a cold and is facing congestion in the nose
• Frequent blowing of the nose due to which the inner lining of the nasal passages get irritated or inflamed
• When one comes in contact with someone infected by the herpes virus
• If one conducts oral sex
• Dryness inside the inner lining of the nose especially during the winter months
• Herpes simplex infection could occur which is noted by fever, tiredness, sores around the mouth, swelling of the glands and pain inside the mouth and gums
Home Remedies To Treat Cold Sores In The Nose
1. Taking Vitamin C
Vitamin C is known to have beneficial properties that help to cure or prevent colds from taking on painful and large proportions. While it cannot prevent the onset of cold, you can definitely fortify the immunity system by intake of vitamin C. It can be taken in the following forms:
• In the form of oils that can be purchased from departmental stores
• In the form of fresh fruit juices
• By consuming fruits that are rich in vitamin C like lemon, sweet lime and others
2. Use Of A&D Ointment
A&D ointment is known to help with different kinds of skin ailments and it is also beneficial for use when one has cold sores. Even if they are inside one’s nose, one could use a pure form of this oil to dab the sores gently. It works in the following way:
• Such an oil or ointment is rich in vitamins A & D which are known to help kill harmful bacteria and reduce skin ailments
• As the skin is fortified with such vitamins, it is better prepared to fight the bacterial infection that cause such sores brought on by cold
It is a safe and effective remedy that one can resort to using at home as it does not have any side effects.
3. Sinus Rinse
Sinus rinse is another form of effective solution for the cold sores inside one’s nose.
• There are medicated sinus rinse bottles available which can be used to rinse the insides of the nose before sleeping.
• It is also helpful for those who are suffering from sinus problems
• It helps to clear out the nasal passage, reduce the inflammation and provide relief
Many people also use generic Neosporin to dab on the inflammations. It is known to moisturize the tissues and heal the bleeding cells. That in turn reduces the painful and bleeding inflammation.
4. Saline Nasal Rinse
While this is a common home remedy for those who suffer from blocked noses and sinus problems, it is equally effective to use to alleviate the sores in the nose. A saline nasal rinse is done in the following way:
• you need to use warm clean water and create a saline solution by mixing salt in it
• You need to direct a small quantity into one of the nasal openings. One could use a squirt bottle as well
• once the solution is passed through one nasal opening, it needs to be squirted out through the other
• not only will it help to clear up the nasal passageways, it acts as a gentle antiseptic as well
5. Use Of Ginger Paste
One could also gain relief from the healing properties of ginger in the following way:
• little amount of ginger ground up can be made into a paste with drops of water
• that can be added to the sores in order to allow the inflammation to be reduced
6. Drink Plenty Of Fluids
While you might want to address the sores inside the nose which become painful, if you can address the infection from inside it would work best.
• Drink plenty of fluids through the day like plain water
• You could take up warm fluids like tea with ginger, cardamom which are known to have beneficial properties to cure cold
• One could add on soups in one’s diet like that of chicken soup to provide adequate nutrient and protein to the system to fight the cold from within
7. Take A Warm Shower
Bath time should help one to clear up the nasal passages in the following manner:
• Use of warm water and a good rub will help to reduce the congestion
• Use of aromatic oils in the warm bath will also help to heal and clear up the nasal passages
Warm water bath is thus recommended to those who suffer from sinus as well as have nasal blockage. One could even massage oneself with olive oil before going in for the bath. Not only does the massage have a therapeutic effect, it also helps to get the circulation moving and to reduce the congestion in the chest. For those who are suffering from cold and recurring sinus problems, warm baths are recommended to gain relief.
8. Applying Antiseptic Gels Or Petroleum Jelly
Application of such substances might cover the sores and prevent them from becoming dry, sore and painful. The application of such substances should be done after a warm and steamy bath is taken. At that time the nose tissues are moist and clean. At such a time application of gels will help to protect them from becoming dry and more painful.
9. Inclusion Of Lysine Rich Foods
One needs to include food that is rich in lysine in their diet like
It is known to help cure such infections.
10. Inclusion Of Probacterial Food Items
It is good to add on probacterial food in one’s diet like
• Cottage cheese
These food items are known to help promote healthy bacterial growth which can combat the bacterial infections which cause cold and sinus infections.
11. Foods To Avoid
One needs to avoid intake of food like:
• white flour products
May of these food products contain arginine which can aggravate cold or flu like symptoms.
12. Use Of Witch Hazel
It is known to be a wonderful remedy for cold sores:
• the infected area should be treated with witch hazel that needs to be applied with a q-tip or a cotton ball
• As the witch hazel is applied it speeds up the healing process as well as prevents the blister from spreading to other parts of the boy or to others.
13. Avoid Contact With Someone Carrying Herpes Virus Infection
While cold sores in the nose could be viral or bacterial in nature, it is necessary to determine the nature of the cold sores or the nature of the infection. If it has been caused by herpes virus, one needs to stay away from such an infected person. Such viral infections are known to be highly contagious. Someone who has had a cold sore before might be a carrier of the virus and hence, it is recommended that one stays away from such an individual or sanitizes their hands after they are in contact of such a person.
14. Strengthen The Immune System
The immune system needs to be strengthened from inside to prevent the frequent onset of cold and flu like infections. Immune system can be strengthened by:
• healthy eating habits
• reduction of stress
15. Having Healthy Eating Habits
When we talk of healthy eating habits, it is not only about eating food that is healthy but also the time, the portions consumed and so forth. It is necessary to ensure the following:
• a proper breakfast should be eaten
• it should be followed with light snacks
• lunch and light snacks in between will help to keep the hunger down
• light dinner early in the evening
Thus, not only should the meals consist of the right nutrients, they should also be eaten at right intervals.
16. Doing Exercises
While one may wonder how exercise can possibly be linked as a remedy to sores in the nose, but there are many benefits to gain from exercises:
• increases the blood circulation
• clears up the nasal passages
• reduces congestion of chest
• strengthens the immunity system
17. Reduction Of Stress
It is necessary that one reduces stress in their lives:
• stress leads to certain hormones to play in the system which lowers the immunity levels
• stress reduction will fortify the system from within
It is necessary that one balances out work and rest. Even if one has a stressful work life, it is necessary to find ways to relax such as:
• keep aside at least seven hours for sleep
• keep aside time for light exercises and to destress such as listening to music
As one keeps fatigue at bay and fortifies the system with the right diet, infections like flu and cold can be kept away.
Are you suffering from painful boils in your nose? How about trying these remedies at home and seeing the benefits? While diet and rest will not help to bring in relief immediately, is it not a better and a longer term solution than opting for antibiotics?