What Is Hypertension?
Hypertension or high blood pressure is a condition in which the force of the blood on the artery walls is high. This will eventually cause health problems including heart disease. Blood pressure depends on the amount of blood pumped by the heart and the resistance offered by your arteries. When your blood vessels are narrow the blood pressure will be high. 120/80 is considered as the normal blood pressure.
Symptoms Of Hypertension
Most people do not have any symptoms for hypertension even when the blood pressure readings are high. Some people show symptoms such as
• Mild headaches
• Dizzy spells
• Shortness of breath
• Vision problems
The Causes Of Hypertension
There are two types of hypertension according to the cause
1. Primary hypertension : when the actual cause of hypertension is not known
2. Secondary hypertension: when an underlying condition is the cause of hypertension.
The various condition causing hypertension are
• Kidney problems
• Adrenal gland tumors
• Congenital problems of blood vessels
• Certain medications like cold remedies, birth control pills, pain relievers etc
• Use of Illegal drugs like cocaine
Apart from these factors there are other factors which can lead to hypertension
• Lack of exercise
• Excessive alcohol consumption
• Sleep apnea
Primary Hypertension can be effectively controlled by home remedies and lifestyle changes.
How To Get Rid Of Hypertension Naturally
The following are the home remedies that you can try to reduce your high blood pressure or hypertension.
Lemon helps in making the blood vessels soft by removing the rigidity of the vessels. This will in turn help in lowering hypertension. It is rich in Vitamin B and will not just reduce your high blood pressure but will also keep your heart healthy.
• Make it a point to drink 5 to 6 glasses of fresh lemon water every day.
• It is ideal for you to add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Drink this on an empty stomach everyday to lower high blood pressure.
• It would be better for you to drink lemon juice without sugar or salt. You can mix it with honey.
2. Watermelon Seeds
Cucurbocitrin is a compound that is present in the watermelon seeds that will help in widening the blood capillaries. It helps in reducing the blood pressure levels and is also an effective treatment for arthritis and kidney diseases.
• Take 2 tablespoons of dried watermelon seeds and crush them gently.
• Now add these crushed watermelon seeds in a cup of boiled water.
• Leave it there for about an hour and slightly stir it so that it mixes well with water.
• Strain it and drink four tablespoons of this water every hour of the day.
Garlic is a well known home remedy to reduce cholesterol levels in your body which is the main culprit behind hypertension. Garlic contains hydrogen sulfide which is very essential compound that promotes good blood flow and reduces blood pressure.
• Eating 5 to six pods of fresh garlic everyday on an empty stomach will help to effectively reduce hypertension.
• You can also extract garlic juice by crushing about 10 pods of garlic.
• Add five to six drops of this garlic juice in four teaspoons of water and drink it twice a day to get relief from high blood pressure.
4. Ginger Juice With Cumin
• Add 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice to a teaspoon of honey.
• Now mix a teaspoon of cumin powder to honey and ginger juice mixture.
• Mix well and consume this twice daily to reduce high blood pressure.
5. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are said to have a lot of medicinal properties and is found to be effective to treat high blood pressure.
• Boil 25 to 30 curry leaves in a glass of water.
• Bring this to room temperature and strain off the leaves.
• Drink this medicated water early in the morning on an empty stomach to reduce your high blood pressure levels effectively .
6. Reduce Salt Intake
It is ideal for you to reduce the intake of salt or lower sodium level in your body to reduce hypertension.
• It would be better for you to switch to low sodium salt to reduce hypertension.
• It would be even better if you could totally avoid salt in the food that you eat.
• It is best advised for people with hypertension to stay away from processed foods and frozen foods as it contains high levels of sodium.
7. Celery Leaves
3-N-butylphthalide is found to be high in celery and this is a phytochemical compound that helps in drastically reducing high blood pressure. It will also help in reducing stress hormones that usually make the blood vessels constrict.
• Try to take one stalk of celery bunch or ad celery leaves and stalk in your daily vegetable salad to help in lowering blood pressure levels.
• Consume a glass of water also along with the celery stalk.
8. Onion Juice
• Try to eat at least one medium sized raw onion every day.
• Extract juice from raw onions and to a teaspoon of onion juice add a teaspoon of honey and mix well.
• Drink this mixture twice a day every day to keep your blood pressure in check.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
The paste of fenugreek seeds is said to be very effective in treating blood pressure.
• Add one or two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water and boil it for about three to four minutes.
• Strain the fenugreek seeds and make it a smooth paste with the help of a blender.
• Consume this paste everyday once in the morning on an empty stomach and also once in the evening.
• You will see a lowering of blood pressure levels in two to three months time.
• Make it a habit to eat at least two bananas a day as it is low in sodium and free from cholesterol.
• You can also include raisins, baked sweet potatoes, spinach, dried apricots and orange juice in your diet to reduce high blood pressure levels.
11. Regular Physical Activity
• It is important for you to exercise about 30 to 45 minutes at least five to six times a week to increase your metabolism and to keep your blood pressure at normal levels.
• Reduce the consumption of alcohol and quit smoking to maintain your blood pressure levels.
12. Stress Management
• You should learn to manage your stress effectively to reduce high blood pressure.
• Relaxation, yoga and deep breathing exercises help in reducing stress.
• You also need to sleep for at least seven hours every day.
Are you worried about high blood pressure levels? Is hypertension preventing you from not doing your regular work properly? Let go all your worries and try out a combination of the above home remedies to effectively reduce hypertension in three to four months.