Psoriasis is a chronic skin disorder which is not contagious. This skin disorder causes itching, painful red scales to develop on the skin of a person. This autoimmune disease typically affects areas such as elbows, knees or scalp, but can appear on any part of the body. Anyone can develop psoriasis and any person with a family history of the problem is more prone to the disease.
The Causes of Psoriasis
According to researchers a combination of genes as well as specific external factors are responsible for the expression of the disease in a person. The trigger for psoriasis may vary from one to the other. The factors which cause psoriasis in one person may not affect the other person. The common causes of psoriasis are
• Injury of the skin
• Certain medications
• Throat infection
In some people, allergies, weather and diet act as a trigger for psoriasis, but this is not scientifically proven.
The Symptoms of Psoriasis
The important symptoms seen in people with psoriasis include
• Raised, red, scaly patches on the skin.
• The skin problem affects outside of the elbows, scalp and knees.
• The patches on the skin are itchy and have a burning sensation.
• The plaques are well defined
• When biopsied, the skin will appear thick and inflamed.
• The patches on the skin covered with a silvery white buildup of dead cells
There are topical, oral and injectable medications to treat psoriasis. It is possible to treat psoriasis using natural home remedies which will reduce constant itching and pain associated with this skin disorder.
Effective Psoriasis Home Remedies
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an effective home remedy for psoriasis of the scalp. It acts as a disinfectant and relieves the itching of the scalp. Never use this remedy if the scalp skin has open wounds or it is cracked. If this remedy works for you, you will be able to see results within a few weeks.
• Apply diluted apple cider vinegar in 1-to-1 ratio to the scalp 3-4 times a week to see results.
• To prevent irritation wash off after the solution gets dried up.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antiseptic properties and can be used for cleansing the skin to remove the pain and itching caused by psoriasis.
• You can use shampoos containing tea tree oil for relieving scalp psoriasis.
• Before using this home remedy makes sure that you are not allergic to it.
3. Aloe Vera
This is a popular remedy for various skin problems.
• The gel from the plant when applied on the psoriasis affected areas has found to reduce the redness and scaling of the skin.
• You can also use creams containing at least 0.5 % aloe. The tablet form of aloe is ineffective in treating psoriasis.
4. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt or dead sea salt can help to remove the scales on the skin and ease itching.
• Add two handfuls of Epsom Salt to warm bath water in the tub and soak your body for 15 minutes.
• Wash off and apply moisturizer to the skin.
This is found in chili peppers and has the ability to block nerve endings which transmit pain. Creams containing capsaicin are highly effective in reducing pain and inflammation associated with psoriasis.
• Apply OTC creams with capsaicin daily to the skin to improve the condition of the skin.
Oats help to soothe the skin affected by psoriasis. Applying oats paste will reduce itchiness and redness of the skin.
• Make a paste of oat powder with water and apply to the skin before taking bath.
• Leave the paste on the skin for 10-15 minutes and wash it off.
The active ingredient curcumin found in this herb has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities and is highly effective in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis.
• You can make a paste of 2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in half a cup of water and apply it to the skin.
• Allow the paste to dry on the skin for 20-30 minutes.
• Wash it off to get relief from itchy and scaly skin.
You can also consume turmeric in pill or supplement form. You can add turmeric powder to the food while cooking. It is necessary to consume 1.5 to 3.0 grams of turmeric per day to get benefited by it.
8. Oregon Grape Or Mahonia Aquifolium
This herb has antimicrobial properties and can fight skin infections. This remedy can be used for treating mild to moderate psoriasis.
• Apply a cream containing 10 % Mahonia daily to the affected areas to treat psoriasis.
9. Fruits And Vegetables
Consuming fresh fruits and vegetables is the easiest way to fight psoriasis. Colorful fruits and vegetables contain anti-oxidants which fight against diseases.
• Plan your diet in such a way that it contains at least five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily.
10. Fish Oil
Fish oil is rich in omega -3-fatty acid, which reduces the inflammation associated with psoriasis. Fish oil also boosts our immune system and hence is very effective for treating psoriasis an autoimmune disease.
• Eat fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel at least three times a week.
• You can use fish oil supplements if you don’t like eating fish.
11. Gluten –Free Diet
It has been found that people with celiac disease has a higher risk of psoriasis. The gluten in the food can cause inflammation.
• Avoid gluten containing food like wheat, barley and rye if you want to get relief from psoriasis.
12. Shark Cartilage
This is a costly remedy to relieve the symptom of plaque psoriasis. The protein and carbohydrate present in cartilage is helpful in relieving the symptoms.
• You can take shark cartilage in the powder or pill form available in the market.
• Consult your doctor before taking this home remedy if you are already taking calcium supplements.
13. Body Massage
In most of the people, psoriasis symptoms are caused by stress. Body massage helps to remove stress and tiredness and provides relief for psoriasis.
• Get soft massages done by your partner if you do not want to approach professional masseurs.
• Do not use oils which will irritate your skin.
14. Keep Your Body Hydrated
Drinking plenty of water will reduce psoriasis as it helps to keep the skin hydrated. This will prevent dryness of the skin and scaling of the skin.
• Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
• Use humidifiers to keep the skin moist in winter.
Yoga helps in reducing stress and reducing stress will relieve the pain and itching of psoriasis plaques. If you are having psoriatic arthritis, yoga will help you to improve your moving ability. Yoga can prevent psoriasis flares.
• Practice yoga exercises at least for 20 minutes daily to prevent psoriasis outbreaks.
Are you a person suffering from the pain and itching caused by psoriasis? Are you embarrassed by itching of your scalp due to psoriasis? Do you want to know certain natural methods to control and treat psoriasis? Try some of the above given home remedies and find out which one is giving you the best results.