Sinusitis is the inflammation or swelling of the tissues that line the sinuses. Sinuses are the hollow spaces behind the bones of the face. Usually the sinuses are filled with air. Due to cold or allergies sinuses get blocked and filled with fluid. Bacteria, fungi or viruses start growing in this fluid causing infection. Sinusitis can be acute which will last for less than four weeks or chronic which will last for 8 weeks to 12 weeks. The people belonging to all age groups are affected by sinusitis. About one in 10 people suffer from sinusitis every year.
Causes Of Sinusitis (Sinus Infection)
The important causes of sinusitis include:
• Infection of the parasnasal sinuses caused by bacteria, virus or fungus.
• An allergic reaction of the body or allergic rhinitis
• Sinus blockage due to nasal polyps
• Autoimmune reaction of the body
• Medications that suppress the immune system
In children the factors that contribute to sinusitis include allergies, use of pacifiers, bottle drinking while lying on one’s back and smoke and pollution in the environment.
Symptoms Of Acute Sinusitis (Sinus Infection)
The person with acute sinusitis may have two or more of the following symptoms and green or yellow nasal discharge.
• Blocked nose
• Facial pain
• Nasal discharge
• Nasal Congestion
In some people the following symptoms are also seen.
• Bad breath (halitosis)
• High temperature
The symptoms of chronic sinusitis are
• Congested and puffy face
• Nasal cavity with pus
• Blocked nose
• Discolored postnasal discharge
• Severe pain in cheeks
Though there are different painkillers, decongestant tablets and sprays available to reduce the swelling and to cause the sinuses to drain, it is not advisable to use these for more than a week. You can try the various home remedies available for treating the sinusitis naturally.
Home Remedies For Sinus Infection
1. Small Onions
Small onions are found to be very effective in treating sinus infection. They are loaded with anti-fungal, anti-bacterial as well as sulphur compounds that works out to be effective in treating even the stubborn parasites and fungus. Eating raw small onions with sugar will help in watery nose and clearing of the sinus infection.
• All you need to do is to eat a few raw and fresh small onions. Drink a glass of hot water immediately after finishing the small onions.
• Repeat this for two to three times a day and you will be free from sinus infection.
2. Baking Soda And Sea Salt
Baking soda and sea salt are found to have anti-fungal and anti-viral properties and will be effective in reducing sinus infection.
• You will need to find a netipot to perform this remedy. You need to boil about 4 cups of water and cool it down to room temperature.
• Add a teaspoon of table salt, 5 drops of oregano extract, 3 drops of eucalyptus oil, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 20 drops of betadine solution and 3 drops of tea tree oil to the boiled water and mix well.
• Sea salt and baking soda will help in loosening the mucus in your nose.
• You need to irrigate your sinus linings in your nose regularly for several times a day.
• Then reduce the number of times the second and the third day and you will feel that your sinus infection are blown away.
3. Inhale Onions
Onions are known to have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties with loads of sulphur compounds. It is found to be very effective in lessening the sinus infection in people. It is one of the ancient remedies practiced in India to clear blocked nose and stubborn mucus in the nose.
• Cut one portion of onion and inhale it if you are okay with the irritation that it causes to your eyes. Repeat this several times a day to reduce sinus infection.
• You can also chop small pieces of onions and put it in a pot of boiling water.
• Let it remain in the boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes so that all its juices get mixed with the water.
• You need to drink this juice when it is still hot to get relief from sinus infection.
• You can also put the chopped onions in a bowl and inhale the smell coming out of the onions deeply in order to get relief from clogged nose.
4. Horse Radish
Horse radish is also found to offer an effective home remedy to treat sinus infection. It will help in dissolving the mucus that is formed in the nose and the throat due to sinus.
• Grate the fresh horseradish and place a pinch of this horseradish in your mouth.
• Hold it in your mouth for a few minutes so that the horseradish flavor moves to the sinus and reacts with it to reduce the mucus formed in the sinus.
• Once you feel that the flavor of horseradish has evaporated, you can now swallow the grated radish to fight the mucus that is present in the throat.
• Repeat this at least two times a day for three to four days to get great relief from sinus infection.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is found to be also effective in reducing the sinus infection to a great extent. It is very effective to treat irritations caused by sinus infection. Regular intake of apple cider vinegar will help in totally exterminating the sinus infection affecting your nose and throat.
• If you are sensing irritations due to sinus infection, then you need to simply consume one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar three times a day to see a reduction in the irritation.
• Mix five to six teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 200 ml of water. Now, heat this water and inhale the steam in your mouth.
• Repeat this three to four times a day to get good relief from sinus infection.
6. Grape Fruit Seed Extract
If you find that the sinus infection has grown very badly and is chronic in nature, then you can use grapefruit seed extract to reduce the irritation to a great extent.
• Grapefruit seed extract has excellent antifungal and antibacterial properties that are found to be very effective in treating sinus infection.
• You can find it in pill form or in liquid form and need to be taken only as per the instructions provided by the doctor as it has been found to cause allergies in some people.
7. Oregano Oil
Pure oregano oil has been found to be very effective in treating bacterial sinus infection. It has anti-bacterial properties and will help in completely removing sinus infection caused by bacteria.
• Take a few empty gelatin capsules and insert about 15 drops of oregano oil in each of the capsule.
• Take this capsule three times a day like you take antibiotics and it will help in making you symptom free in three to four days.
• You an also add 10 to 15 drops of pure oregano in a glass of water. Mix it well and drink this mixture once or twice a day for three to four days for effective reduction in sinus infection.
8. Nose Exercise
You need to improve the blood flow to your sinuses in order to prevent the sinus infection to develop in your nose. Some gentle exercise for your nose will help in reducing sinus infection.
• Press the side of your nose gently with your thumb for about 15 seconds.
• Repeat the same on the other side of the nose.
• This will help in improving the blood flow in your nose to the sinuses and thereby prevent sinus infection.
• You need to do this several times a day if you suffer from sinus infection.
9. Increase Fluid Intake
• Drinking a lot of fluids especially water will help you to be free from dehydration and will also loosen the mucus in your nose and throat.
• It will help in draining the mucus easily. Make sure that you take at least 7 glasses of water daily to loosen your mucus so that sinus does not catch you.
• It is important to avoid caffeinated beverages if you suffer from sinus infection as they easily dehydrate your body. It is also important for you to take adequate rest when you suffer from sinus infection.
10. Steam Inhalation
Another effective home remedy that will help in easily getting rid of sinus infection is steam therapy.
• Boil water in a large bowl and once it is boiling hot, remove it from the stove. Now breathe in the steam that is coming out of this boiling water.
• You need to cover your head with a towel or cloth so that the steam does not escape.
• Adding a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil to this boiling water to relieve you from nose congestion and to really dilute the mucus in your nose.
11. Cayenne Pepper
• Adding cayenne peppers in your daily diet will help in reducing the symptoms of sinus infection to a great extent.
• The capsaicin in the cayenne peppers will help in decongesting your nose and will prevent the mucus from developing in the nose.
12. Special Tea
Some of the common ingredients that are known to fight sinus infection is garlic and cayenne peppers.
• Add three to four cloves of freshly crushed garlic along with 3 to 4 dashes of cayenne pepper in a bowl filled with water.
• Boil this water on a stove in such a way that steam starts to evaporate from the water.
• Remove the fire and stir the contents of the bowl and sip this water like a tea or soup. Make sure you breathe deeply with every sip you take to help in reducing sinus infection.
13. Thyme Oil
• Add 8 to 10 drops of pure thyme oil in a bowl of water.
• Put it over a stove and boil it till steam evaporates.
• Now, cover your head and your bowl with a towel and start to inhale the steam coming out of the bowl.
• Do this for fifteen minutes a day for three to four days to get relief from tight chest and mucus in your nose.
Garlic has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and is known as a wonderful natural healer for a lot of health problems.
• Eating three to four cloves of raw garlic everyday will help you to get good relief from sinus infection and will prevent the increase of sinus infection.
• If you are a person who gets regular bouts of sinus infection, then it is better to go for a humidifier for your home.
• It will help in preventing your air passages to get dry and irritated at most times.
• Make sure that you clean the humidifier regularly so that it does not become a center for fungal growth.
16. Herbal Teas
• In a cup of water add sage, peppermint and fennel and bring it to a boil.
• Now, strain the boiling water and drink this herbal tea two times a day to drain the nasal passages.
17. Dietary Tips
• Make sure that you consume vegetable and fresh fruit juices that are prepared by diluting it with water.
• Never take starchy, fried and sugary foods when you have sinus infection.
• Add honey to sweeten your foods instead of sugar.
• Increasing the foods that contain Vitamin A like tomatoes, leafy vegetables, carrots and egg yolks will help in fighting sinus infection.
18. Avoid Alcohol
Alcohol has to be totally avoided when you are suffering from sinus infection. It will cause the mucus membranes of the nose and sinus passages to swell up causing irritations. So, it is better to avoid any beverage that has traces of alcohol.
Do you find it very difficult to breathe and concentrate on anything due to mucus in your nose? Are you looking for the best home remedies that will help in curing sinus infection? You need to check out some of the above mentioned home remedies that are found to be very effective in treating sinus infection and to reduce them significantly.